Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbags 5000lb or 2000lb ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Airbags 5000lb or 2000lb ?

I have a 2019 Lariat Max Tow, 3.5 EB Scab, FX4, 4x4, with 1809lbs payload, 1400 lb equalizer towbar. I'm going to have a payload approaching 1700+ lbs. Was towing my 9000 lb TT (when loaded) with a 3/4 ton but only tow now 5-6 days a year so made the switch to the 1/2 ton as it is primarily a DD and fishing boat puller. I feel I should add airbags for the occasions when I tow heavy but don't know if I should add 5000lb air bags like the Firestones or would I be better off with 2000 lb ride rights? Looking for whatever I can do to improve safety when towing heavy. Thanks all
Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

The 2,000 pounders would probably be fine since you already have the MaxTow suspension. You're just looking to firm up the ride a bit, right?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

My truck has a 2.5" level kit and I have the 2000# AirLift set on mine and hauled a little over 1500# in the bed the other day. With 40psi in them I was back to being level. They can go up to 100psi.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 PM

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

I went with Timbrens for mine to keep it from getting squatty.

Really like that I'm not messing with pressures on the air bags. When the load comes off it's a nice factory ride again, no muss, no fuss.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryD64
I went with Timbrens for mine to keep it from getting squatty.

Really like that I'm not messing with pressures on the air bags. When the load comes off it's a nice factory ride again, no muss, no fuss.
This or Sumo springs, skip the airbags. Lets face it, if you need airbags, you have the wrong truck. Set it up properly, for which sounds like you have the correct hitch, make sure your under all GVWR/GAWR and hit the road. The Sumo/Timbrens will help stabilize the truck without upsetting the hitch.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Sumo, Timbren, or airbags is literally a toss-up. I disagree with the statement that if you need airbags you have the wrong truck, especially when Sumo or Timbren are then suggested, as all three systems do the same thing, with the air bags having adjustability.

What you need is to fine-tune your suspension's characteristic, and any of the three can do that. If you are looking to add significant weight handling, then you do need a different truck.

NEVER install 5000lb air bags on a half-ton, it's way more than the truck can use. 1000lb bags would be plenty, if they were available, and would well exceed the shock dampening rate when inflated to full.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
Sumo, Timbren, or airbags is literally a toss-up. I disagree with the statement that if you need airbags you have the wrong truck, especially when Sumo or Timbren are then suggested, as all three systems do the same thing, with the air bags having adjustability.

What you need is to fine-tune your suspension's characteristic, and any of the three can do that. If you are looking to add significant weight handling, then you do need a different truck.

NEVER install 5000lb air bags on a half-ton, it's way more than the truck can use. 1000lb bags would be plenty, if they were available, and would well exceed the shock dampening rate when inflated to full.

Sumo or Timbrens are fixed rate, air bags are not. Most people who put air bags on do so to level the truck after hitching a trailer, which is completely wrong. Should never have more than the minimum amount of air in the bags when hitched with a WDH. With Sumo or Timbren, the hitch is set up at a fixed position every time and never changes. If one NEEDS either of them to carry weight to keep off the bump stops, or because the trailer is so heavy on the ball that the WDH can't correct the front axle, well, you need a bigger truck. If just adding them for stability and not to compensate for weight, then the fixed rate springs are a better solution.

Air bags are not meant for bumper tow, but for weight directly on the axle like 5th wheel towing, or hauling heavy items in the bed.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (06-20-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I very specifically stated the use of any of the three to fine tune the suspension's characteristics. Didn't say a thing about leveling a truck.

Yes, everyone knows that air bags are adjustable, and Sumo and Timbren are not.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Timbrens
Old 06-21-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The 2000's are plenty for what you're doing. The 5000's are fine too, but unfortunately many 5000 lb. F150 kits have the perches too close together and the suspension will prematurely bottom out on the bags. It causes a harsh ride unless you keep at least 10-12 psi, which of course causes a harsh ride.... I had this issue with the '13 and modified the lower mounts for more clearance (the '05 kit was perfect with 7" static clearance). There is nothing wrong with using airbags for towing with a WDH hitch, but you need to figure out how much weight you want them to carry and then inflate them to the appropriate pressure BEFORE hitching and installing the spring bars. Changing the bag pressure after the fact will change the amount of weight distribution that occurs. More pressure reduces transfer, and vice-versa. There are a lot of misconceptions flying around regarding airbags and their correct usage. If you pre-inflate to a given pressure, they ARE a fixed rate spring, at least in the context being used here. To be technically correct almost no spring is fixed rate, including your factory leaves or Timbrens. Linear rate is probably a more correct term, and airbags are as linear as anything else out there. Airbags are a very useful tool for un-squatting a truck when used properly. An undersprung truck with a WDH is still an undersprung truck. Airbags let you correct that condition quickly and easily. Also, a quality set of rear shocks will complement them nicely. I have airbags on all 3 trucks in my sig, and the '13 has onboard air air with in-cab inflation. They all get used regularly.

Last edited by PerryB; 06-22-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Airbags 5000lb or 2000lb ?