Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding OEM Trailer Brake Controller to 2018

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding OEM Trailer Brake Controller to 2018

I have an '18 XLT 2.7TT. This truck has the $995 towing package. It does not have a center console. How much dash do I need to remove to get little credit card holder out and the TBC in? I ask this because I have a phone holder mount that adheres to the top of the left vent opening, and I might put off installing that until after I finish the TBC if that left side panel has to be detached.

Since I don't have the center console, I was wondering if it would be any easier to just pry that side open at the bottom without doing the whole radio bezel thing. Also, since I don't have the console, it's not as clear what I'm supposed to do with the lower trim to get access to the bottom left.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Here's a great video from E-Trailer on removal of the dash panel to gain access to the trailer controller wiring. Pertinent info starts at about 3:30.

Also has the necessary steps to install a hot wire from the fuse box if your truck is one of the many that Ford "failed" to install a hot wire to power the controller. I think it's fuse slot #24--check to make sure you have a fuse in that position.

You might have to remove the panel to the right of the steering wheel to install the OEM unit, and you'll have to take your truck to the dealer to program the module so it recognizes it....or you can do yourself with FORScan.

The OEM unit is a very nice controller and works well. If you don't go that route, I highly recommend the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy unit. They function as well as the OEM.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...150-90195.aspx

Last edited by icantdrive55; 12-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cpurick (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks

Quick Reply: Adding OEM Trailer Brake Controller to 2018