Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a 7 pin/blade harness.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Adding a 7 pin/blade harness.

Second owner of a '12 with a 4 pin and a hitch. Need a 7 pin. I found the socket near the spare tire. Is this what is called a USCAR socket? Is there aftermarket or only Ford oem?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Look closely at that socket. If it has at least 6 pins in there, then you simply plug in the 7-pin trailer wiring harness and run the plug on that harness back to the rear of the pickup.

You can buy that 7-pin trailer wiring harness from any Ford dealer or order it from online sources such as etrailer.com.

The trailer tow pkg, which included the 7-pin trailer plug near the back bumper, was optional on 2012 XL, STX, and XLT trim levels. It was std on Lariat and better trim levels.

But simply plugging in the harness probably won't do it. You'll probably also have to add a fuse and relay or two to make all those wires in the harness "hot". Instructions should come with the harness to explain what else you need.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Went to etrailer on youtube and watched their videos. All I have to do now is order the harness adapter and get a few wiring tools. Thanks for your help!