Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 blade trailer plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 blade trailer plug

On the truck side of the 7 blade trailer towing electrical plug, can the hot lead from the plug for trailer battery charging be spliced into any hot wire on the truck near the bumper or should a wire be run all the way to the truck battery? What amp fuse should be placed between battery/hot wire and truck side plug?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

You should run the wire from the battery. I used 10 gauge on my last two vehicles but with this recent one I wish I had run 8 gauge for the extra load capacity I'll be needing in the near future. I installed a 40 amp breaker near the battery. I also installed a relay that piggybacked on a circuit that is switched with the ignition. Without this you would need to disconnect the 7-pin when you stop to prevent draining of the tow vehicle starting battery.

Here are some links to the types I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-C...ircuit+breaker

https://www.amazon.com/TE-BOSCH-Curr...ds=bosch+relay

I used something similar to this. I don't remember the exact one but you should be able to find something to fit you vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-ATC-P...ve+fuse+holder
The following users liked this post:
B-Rye (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 PM

Thank you for the info. This will help alot!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have a newer truck with a tow package, the wire to provide power to the 7 pin is in place. You need to add a relay and fuse in the under hood fuse panel. The owners manual calls for a 20 amp fuse.
B-Rye (01-31-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thread, same question today. By coincidence, I just happened to have the box for the relay I installed, sitting here. Here's the NAPA part for the Relay.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the info, that will help. I am not too experienced though with wiring..how do I hook this all up? Truck battery- relay- fuse- plug at back of truck in that order?
Old 02-07-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

What year is the truck, and did it come with a 7-pin plug from the factory? If it did, all you have to do is install a fuse and a relay in the fuse/power distribution box.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting thread - I had assumed that with the "trailer towing package" the 12V lead would have been done at the factory. Is it fairly obvious when you open up the fuse box where the lead is to put the relay in place? It's dark & raining so I'm not venturing out to check right now...
Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 PM

Perry B...2008, it did not come with the 7 blade plug. Bought the truck used and it had a 4 prong on it. Hooked the lighting part from the 4 prong to the wires for the 7 plug that I got @ Walmart, now trying to make the connection for the trailer battery charging.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by larry2c
Interesting thread - I had assumed that with the "trailer towing package" the 12V lead would have been done at the factory. Is it fairly obvious when you open up the fuse box where the lead is to put the relay in place? It's dark & raining so I'm not venturing out to check right now...
You need to look at the diagram in your owners manual. The box only shows the fuse and relay position numbers.
B-Rye (02-07-2017)