Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7,500lb GVW Travel Trailer - truck upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Default 7,500lb GVW Travel Trailer - truck upgrades?

Hello,

I'm likely purchasing a Coachmen 32' (28' box) TT this weekend that has a GVWR of 7,600 lbs (6,100 lbs empty) - I'll likely will be around 6,900 lbs or less for small weekend trips which is all we plan on doing as we work FT. All my truck stats are in my signature and it's completely stock / unloaded. When I took it to the scales a few months ago it weighed in at 5,400 lbs with a full tank and myself and daughter inside.

The dealer would be installing a Blue Ox WD hitch system and I have towing mirrors and tongue scale on order, but I was wondering what other upgrades I should be considering?

Should I be looking into purchasing C, D or E rated tires (I kind of like the KO2s)? How about a Hellwig rear swaybar?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Magnetic157; 08-13-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Should be fine with the Blue Ox. You'll still have just under 1000lbs payload left with the trailer hooked up so it should to fine as long as you don't overload the truck. I wouldn't worry about upgrading tires or anything else just yet. No sense doing that if you don't need it TBH.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

I'd start with the Blue Ox and your current setup and see how it handles.

If you're still running OEM rear shocks, I'd replace those with something usable first (the handling difference without a trailer is worth the cost of admission for Fox 2.0s, IMO, but I'd suspect the same is also true of the Bilsteins, I just don't have personal experience with them). FWIW, I just towed a comparable-weight enclosed cargo trailer (6,660 on the trailer axles, approximately 1k tongue weight, but I didn't do a three-pass weigh-in to verify), with a Blue Ox, to Maine from Montana at the beginning of the month and had no trouble at all. I do have LT tires and Fox 2.0 rear shocks, but nothing else I've done to the truck should have a significant effect on handling.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

^^ what they said. Start with what you have first and dial in that BO setup. If this is your first time buying that TT, believe me that you're gonna want to spend on that TT extras and then some
Old 08-13-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Good advice - thanks guys! I pulled the trigger today and take delivery this Saturday! Hopefully my tow mirros come in by then..
Old 08-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

That trailer is the perfect size for your truck as you have payload to spare. I have similar, though mine has more cargo capacity, let me guess, your's has slideouts. Mine loaded for a week of camping is 6400 pounds with FWT filled. It drops 900 pounds on the ball, and when hitched with the BO WDH like yours, I have 400 pounds left in payload. You should have plenty with an addition 500 pounds in your trailer since you have more payload than mine.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnetic157
Hello,

I'm likely purchasing a Coachmen 32' (28' box) TT this weekend that has a GVWR of 7,600 lbs (6,100 lbs empty) - I'll likely will be around 6,900 lbs or less for small weekend trips which is all we plan on doing as we work FT. All my truck stats are in my signature and it's completely stock / unloaded. When I took it to the scales a few months ago it weighed in at 5,400 lbs with a full tank and myself and daughter inside.

The dealer would be installing a Blue Ox WD hitch system and I have towing mirrors and tongue scale on order, but I was wondering what other upgrades I should be considering?

Should I be looking into purchasing C, D or E rated tires (I kind of like the KO2s)? How about a Hellwig rear swaybar?

Thanks in advance!
you can certainly give a try on the tow with P rated tires. If the rig feels squishy/bouncy or porpoising on the road then a good set of LT tires will help. Currently pulling a 7000 lb loaded Rockwood travel trailer and first couple times out I went through this. Even though my 2018 came with max tow it also had P rated tires. After switching out I noticed a definite improvement in handling of the truck and trailer. Went with E rated Michelin’s which were great for the highway. Any LT though is better due to stiffer sidewalls.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tuckr2

you can certainly give a try on the tow with P rated tires. If the rig feels squishy/bouncy or porpoising on the road then a good set of LT tires will help. Currently pulling a 7000 lb loaded Rockwood travel trailer and first couple times out I went through this. Even though my 2018 came with max tow it also had P rated tires. After switching out I noticed a definite improvement in handling of the truck and trailer. Went with E rated Michelin’s which were great for the highway. Any LT though is better due to stiffer sidewalls.
Did you inflate your old P tires to max pressure?? I did to mine which are 51psi which is stated on the tire and it helps but it wouldn't hurt to put on LT tires. I'll probably just wear mine out first then upgrade. I pull a 34ft 8940lb camper fully loaded but with no water.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Irfman2000@yahoo.com
Did you inflate your old P tires to max pressure?? I did to mine which are 51psi which is stated on the tire and it helps but it wouldn't hurt to put on LT tires. I'll probably just wear mine out first then upgrade. I pull a 34ft 8940lb camper fully loaded but with no water.
intiially, when installed the tire shop inflated to manufacturers rating on the door (sticker) which I believe is 38 psi. While not pulling the trailer I use this as it’s correct according to what I have read. However, when pulling I typically inflate to about 50 psi (tires are rated to 80 psi max). This helps with ride both loaded and unloaded. The stiffness of the sidewalks really helps with the E rated tires when towing heavy loads.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tuckr2

intiially, when installed the tire shop inflated to manufacturers rating on the door (sticker) which I believe is 38 psi. While not pulling the trailer I use this as it’s correct according to what I have read. However, when pulling I typically inflate to about 50 psi (tires are rated to 80 psi max). This helps with ride both loaded and unloaded. The stiffness of the sidewalks really helps with the E rated tires when towing heavy loads.
Oh ok. So how much stiffer is the ride unloaded compared to the P tires you had?? That's my concern so my other half wont complain to me as much lol.

Quick Reply: 7,500lb GVW Travel Trailer - truck upgrades?