Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Wheel pulling

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Wheel pulling

Looking to buy a new Lariat with EB. We will pull a small 5th wheel....recommendations on bed length and anything else would be appreciated. We haven't purchased either yet..
Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

EcoBoost, MaxTow + HD Payload, 6.5' bed minimum. Be prepared to order this truck. Most standard on the lot trucks may have the MaxTow, but it is unlikely you will find a Lariat with the HD Payload.

Also, with this truck, you are going to still be limited to the lighter fifth wheels, probably nothing with a loaded pin weight much in excess of 1400lbs. Pin wieght should be between 15-20% of the trailer weight, so that puts you at 7000-8500 lbs GVWR on the fiver. Payload capacity is ~2400 on a 2wd truck (like mine). Add in 600-800 lbs for people (assuming family of 3-4) and gear, plus 100lbs for the hitch, plus 100lbs for misc accessories and you can hit 2400lbs fairly quickly with even the lighter Fivers.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It will be tough to stay legal (and stock) without the HD payload package. The eco is a beast and will pull any lightweight 5th with ease. Put it in a truck to match and you have one great tow vehicle for the lighter 5ths.

As mentioned already, even with HD payload, you will probably need to stay below 1500 pin.

A max tow would do it (not necessarily legal) and would likely require air bags or helper springs. I wouldn't recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
MarineRecon (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 PM

Default Thanks

Great advice.....

We just sold a 45' horse trailer and Freightliner Sport Chassis...this is a little new to us..

Don't want a dually but thinking we should go to 3/4 tone..

Nick
Old 12-16-2012, 08:46 PM

The other consideration would be whether you are full-timing or not. I tow about 10-20% of the miles on my truck so made more sense to go with a heavier duty 1/2 ton. We also have no need for a huge 5th. If you are going to travel around the country with mostly towing miles, I would go 3/4 or 1 ton.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Is it going to be your everyday vehicle?? If so then get the F150 with max tow and HD pkg. There are a TON of lite weight 5vers out there to choose from that will keep you within the trucks limits. And when not towing you will get better gas mileage and a much better ride than any 3/4 ton..The way i look at it unless you plan on full-timing or plan on taking long trips a larger truck with a diesel would make more sense.

Last edited by EcoboostKev; 12-16-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 PM

Default Not full time

We are horse show photographers and do travel a bit, but once we get to a spot we are set up for a week or so....just two of us so it sounds like a lightweight 5th wheel and 1/2 ton EcoBoost would work...5.5 bed okay?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Personally, I would just go with the 6.5' box (157" wheelbase crew), a round nose 5th and be done with it. HD payload also, but you will have to order. You will need a slider hitch for a 5.5' box.

You may have already read this. The first few pages are useless but gets into some info toward the end.

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/5th-wh...g-pics-175693/

Here's another:
https://www.f150forum.com/f82/fifth-...ft-box-180282/
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 PM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Neither comfirm nor deny...but we are happy with ours.
If you use campers for more than weekends or a couple of weeks at a time once or twice a year, you'll want a bigger camper which will require a bigger truck to pull it.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a SportChassis you will be disappointed with the F150 for towing a 5th wheel. Not saying the F150 is not capable of doing it because it is but if you are going to be on the road like you say you are then you will want something more capable.

Also like stated above there are lightweight 5th wheels out there but as a frequent traveler and I also assume you will be traveling year around for work so that means you will want something well insulated and sturdy. The thing I dont like about most lightweight 5th's are that they sure cable operated slides which in my opinion is not as durable.

If this were me I would look at a 5th wheel at about 35-37' and 10-12K pounds. Tow vehicle would be a crew cab long bed F350 with the diesel. This will net you the 172" wheel base which is better for 5th wheel handling. Yes its bigger and rides rougher unloaded but you will get a much improved ride while hauling you 5th wheel and get better gas mileage doing it.

If you were looking to just take the trailer out on weekends in the summer and 90% of the time not towing I would recommend the F150 Eco but from the sounds of it you will be towing much more than that and need a more solid foundation.

Also you should find the trailer you want first and then that will dictate which TV (tow vehicle) you should get. Trust me on this one as I bought the truck first and then found that most of the trailers I really liked I could not tow.

I currently have an F150 Eco and tow a 5th wheel and feel that I have a fair setup currently but really wish I would have bout a super duty. You can PM me if you want more info on my setup as I do not want to attract any attention from the towing police

Ryan

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel pulling