Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Trailer lighting issue

Old 03-15-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2015 Trailer lighting issue

I have a 2015 and when hooking up my 4 pin camper, running lights work, but brake nor turn lights work. I also hooked a 7 pin to 4 pin with test leds on it, and the running light led worked, but brake and turn were off.
I looked at the couple fuses listed in the manual but they appeared fine. Didn't pull them all the way out, but will do that tonight.

I know the 2011 - 2014 trucks had a baggy in the glove box with 1 or 2 fuses that needed to be plugged in to get the brake and turn signals to work on trailers.

I plan to test my wifes car on it and see if its the trailer, but the fact that the 7pin tester didn't work either, im leaning towards the truck being the issue.

Do the 2015s have something similar to the 14s, and have a fuse or relay that need to be plugged in, that is not listed in the manual? Each location listed in the manual under Travel Trailer, has the correct corresponding fuse.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found NO extra fuses in glove box on my 2016
Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I ordered my 2016 with a tow package, when I connected a working trailer all lights (stop, turn/tail, 4-ways, running lights) all worked correctly.

As far as I know, the only baggy in the glovebox contains hardware to hook up a brake controller (I ordered mine installed so empty baggy).
Old 03-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Havyek
I ordered my 2016 with a tow package, when I connected a working trailer all lights (stop, turn/tail, 4-ways, running lights) all worked correctly.

As far as I know, the only baggy in the glovebox contains hardware to hook up a brake controller (I ordered mine installed so empty baggy).
Thanks, ill take a better look at the fuses. Will change them out even if they dont look blown.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Boudreaux80
Thanks, ill take a better look at the fuses. Will change them out even if they dont look blown.
any chance the wires at the 4 pin plug are damaged...seen afew times getting crushed but not breaking the outer wire shell
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 PM

So i hooked the trailer up to my wifes suv, and all lights worked. So its something on my trucks end.

I see
4 fuses:
Trailer tow park lamps
Trailer tow stop-turn relay fuse
Trailer tow lamps module
Trailer tow backup lamps
1 relay:
Trailer tow parking lamp relay

All three fuses were fine, i even swapped them around to verify the fuses were good. The only thing i could not test is the relay,(Trailer tow parking lamp) however not sure if this would control the brake/turn, especially considering the running/park lamps work.

One thing, i see a stop-turn relay fuse, but no relay labeled that in the menu. The only trailer relay is the parking lamp relay.

At this point, im at a lost. Will have to take it to dealer, its still under factory warranty so shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Get underneath and reseat the connection from the harness to the 7/4 pin bumper connector. Mine needed reseating to fix a false trailer disconnected indication. If not that then I'd say take it to the dealer under warranty.

From 2015 up there is no trailer fuse or relay that needs to be installed at/after delivery. The 4-pin should always work and the 7-pin 12V Aux and brakes should activate when the truck detects the trailer's brakes.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 264 Likes on 186 Posts

did you name the trailer on the productivity? screen?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:47 AM

Ok, so i took my truck to dealer this morning. She took my information and a tech came get it. About an hour later, he comes back and tells her a fuse in missing or moved. He then leaves. She tells me they found that some fuses or relay was missing and he was going check if they have part in stock.
About 30 minutes later he comes back up and talks to her and leaves. She then comes tell me that they will need to keep truck longer because the fuses didn't correct the issue. I told her i couldn't leave it today and to bring my truck back.
The tech comes back with my truck and i ask him what he thinks is the issue, and which fuse did he have to replace. He told me he thinks its a module because all the fuses tested fine. The relay he says he moved, was a relay for my electric fan...,So im calling BS.
She told me because the fuses were in the wrong place, its most likely someone plugged something in wrong and blew and that would not be covered under warranty.

Needless to say i took my truck back. Decided to go to another dealer.

When i got to this one,I did not tell him about the other dealer this morning, wants to see how it unfolded.
I explained the issue, service guy told me, 99% sure its fuse. Told me however Ford doesn't cover fuses, so would be about $100. I explained that i tested them and they tested fine, and would he mind showing me to make sure i wasn't overlooking any. The guy was as helpful as can be, went through all 4 fuses for the trailer stuff, and tested with a meter, all fine. After a little while of head scratching, he said he would need to bring it to the back for a day to look at it all and figure out whats going on.

I asked could it be a relay, or a module, and he said because you are getting running lights, he doesn't believe it could be the module or relay. Which i tend to agree with, but I'm no expert.

At this point, i have a appointment to bring it back Monday morning and drop it off.

I was under the truck last night a bit and unplugging and replugging the connectors back there to see if one maybe was lose. I did see where a white and black wire were both grounded to the frame, i assume these are for the white and black on the 7 and 4 pin ground. I messed with it to see if it was loose, but it was tight.

Any way to test and see from the 7 or 4 pin if i have a bad ground or something else anyone can think of to test?

Would the relay for Trailer-Tow Parking Lamp have anything to do with the stop/turn? I get Running lamps, so i assumed it would be good.

Another thing weird is the fuse for the Stop/Turn is listed as a relay fuse, but i do not see any relay called Trailer-Tow Stop/Turn.

Thanks in advance for any help/support anyone can provide
Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 PM

Ok new development. I hooked my buddies trailer up that has a 7 pin trailer. Hooked it up and still no brake or turn, running works.
I went into trailer settings and light status, they had a pic of a trailer with red lights around. On the right side, they had running lights with a green light and then brake/turn with a green led.
Am I correct in assuming the truck thinks everything is fine? What could cause that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Trailer lighting issue