Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Integrated Trailer Brake Controller malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 Integrated Trailer Brake Controller malfunction?

Morning all.
I have a 2015 F150 Lariat with max tow package that I just used to tow my 4k loaded camper. The camper has electric brakes.
When plugged in, the truck doesn't acknowledge the brakes or the trailer. When I adjust the gain, a screen pops up saying "Trailer Brake Gain: x.x No Trailer"
I thought maybe it just wasn't detecting the trailer at all, but the lights work, signals and brake. I cleaned the contacts and plugged it back in but it still says no trailer. As I drive, I can manually squeeze the brake controller and it'll actuate the brakes on the camper--BUT the dash will say "Trailer Disconnected".

Yesterday, after trying to troubleshoot the issue, I noticed the dash saying that I was towing a trailer when I was definitely not. On the towing screen, it said I had put 7 miles of towing on this trailer, and counting. I tried to get it to "disconnect" from the trailer but restarting the truck but it didn't work until I squeezed the trailer brake controller.

Am I missing something?? This truck only has 5k miles and already getting screwy on me.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

That doesn't sound right. This should not happen and it isn't anything that you are doing (or not doing). I'd take this puppy in for a look at the dealer. It should be as simple as plugging in the trailer and disconnecting the trailer.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new 2015 F 150 lariat super crew 4x2 with 2.7 ecoboost and trailer tow package. I then bought a new travel trailer and went through the setup and the dash showed t"trailer Connected. As soon as I put it in gear and started to move the dash message was Trailer Disconnected. I put the trailer on a 2012, 2013, and a 2014 f 150 same configuration for towing and it worked fine. I then when at the dealership connected to a brand new truck identical to mine and had the same problem. The dealership has run codes with "no code" shown. They ran the setup of the module and it has the latest and greatest update. They are going through the hotline now and engineers to see if they can find the problem. Have you heard of this and if so WHAT. The trailer brakes and lights all work correctly. I can manually apply the trailer brake with the trailer brake control. Further I went to the trailer dealer and connected to the same model trailer and got the same results "trailer disconnect" as soon as it started to tow. I am very frustrated as I want to go on a trip but it does not see and charge my trailer battery and I have no sway control since it doesn't see the trailer. Obviously I don't have your answer but your problem seems similar to mine as far it the trailer disconnect aspect.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:11 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe in the 15s there is a fuse that needs to be installed under the dash in a side fuse box....
Old 07-26-2015, 09:25 AM

No fuse or relay in my glovebox. Service guy at the dealer told me to look for the fuse and relay in my glovebox but there's only one bag for the rear camera plug.

He also told me to go through all the fuses. I did that, there is 1 trailer brake related fuse under the passenger kickpanel, and 3 trailer brake related fuses under the hood fuse box. All are fine. Off topic - Ford doesn't even include a fuse puller in their fuse boxes... i had to go grab my pliers. If there is one..it's not in either of the fuse boxes.

One thing I read about the 2015 is that there is no fuse or relay to install but it is performed through the dash trailer setup pages. You're supposed to connect the trailer, go to add new trailer, and go through the setup. I haven't tried that yet.

I checked the pins with a multimeter and got 2-3 VDC from ground to the light pins, nothing at the constant power pin. I'm going to assume that the voltage will rise to 12v+ when the truck senses a trailer. The 2-3VDC is just a trigger voltage to get things going.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Just tried the setup procedure and didn't do anything.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:06 PM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Is there any other info in the manual?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Nope. Just tell me what button does what. Nothing to do with fuses or relays. Nothing about the setup procedure either.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have absolutely the same problem. I have 2015 Lariat 4x4 with tow package (not max) with integrated break controller. Absolutely the same situation as described in initial post. The same messages and need to apply brakes manually and I DO hear they are working!!!!

I hooked up my TrailManor trailer back to my SUV 2005 Nissan Xterra where it was originally used with Prodigy brake controller. No problem at all - everything working perfectly. I hooked it up to my neighbor's F-250 2012 or 2013 - NO problem. I did replaced 7-pin connector on the trailer and did bring it to local trailer service company to check - NO PROBLEM.

I did bring my truck to local dealer in Concord, CA - they did not see any problem with the truck but did not want me to bring the trailer due to lack of parking space even having space on parking lot available for 200 trucks :-( MF They are good to bolt parts not to solve problems. I did bring the truck to dealership where I got it. With the trailer of course. The hooked the trailer to another 2015 F-150 and ... the same error messages.

I have appointment there for next week ... will see what happened.

Last edited by igkir; 07-30-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:18 AM

Good to hear I'm not the only one!
I've got an appointment next tuesday.
He said it'd be 100 bucks to diagnose unless it was a real problem.

Quick Reply: 2015 Integrated Trailer Brake Controller malfunction?