Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 4.6 3v Towing Quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 4.6 3v Towing Quesitons

I apologize ahead of time if these questions have been asked, I have searched and really haven't found definite answers. New to the forum.

I am looking for some feedback or experiences folks have had towing with the 2010 4.6 3v. I recently purchased one with a 3.73 rear end. I hoping to find out what kind of experiences folks have had while towing and what weight they were towing. Also, any modifications you may have made.

I am looking at travel trailers and while it is rated for up to 9200lbs, I am well aware that is not realistic. I recently installed a brake controller and will be getting a load leveling hitch.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Stay below 6k gross weight on the trailer and you will be fine. I tow 6k to 7k with a 10 screw with Max tow and it gets the job done well but I've got the 5.4 with more torque. Look for an aluminum frame vacuum bonded fiberglass trailer to keep your weight low but still have a decent size trailer.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Howdy, GZ, and WELCOME! to F150forum and our campfire.

Originally Posted by GZalenski
I am looking at travel trailers and while it is rated for up to 9200lbs, I am well aware that is not realistic.

Good. It's not realistic. And tow rating (based on GCWR) is probably not your limiter. If receiver hitch tongue weight (TW) rating is not your limiter, then payload capacity (based on GVWR) is probably your limiter, and will probably limit the gross weight of the trailer to about 6,000 pounds without being overloaded.

Sorry, but there is no magic number you can pull out of the air to determine the max weight of any TT you can tow without being overloaded. You have to weigh the wet and loaded truck, then do the math.

Since you have the truck, here's how to determine the max weight of any travel trailer (TT) you can probably tow without being overloaded:

1] Load the F-150 with everybody and everything it will have in it when towing. People, pets, tools, jacks, campfire wood, everything. Include your weight-distributing hitch if you have it.

2] Drive to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck (CAT) scale, fill up with gas, and weigh the wet and loaded F-150 - with everybody and everything in the truck. Add 100 pounds to the truck weight if you don't have the WD hitch in the bed.

3] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded F-150 from the GVWR of the F-150. The answer is the max payload capacity available for hitch weight.

4] Divide the max payload capacity available for hitch weight by 0.13 (13%) and the answer is the max weight of any TT you can probably tow without exceeding the GVWR and payload capacity of your F-150. If you prefer to be positive and not just probable, then use 15% instead of 13%.

5] Be sure your receiver hitch is rated for at least the tongue weight (TW) of the max payload capacity available for hitch weight.

6] Double check to see if the weight of the wet and loaded F-150 plus the max weight of any TT you can tow exceeds the GCWR of the F-150. A table for determining the GCWR of your F-150 is in your Owner's Guide. For your 2010 F-150, GCWR is probably not your limiter. For my 2012 F-150, the GCWR table is under the "Trailer Towing" sub-section of the "Tires, Wheels, and Loading" section beginning on page 264.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

I apologize ahead of time if these questions have been asked, I have searched and really haven't found definite answers. New to the forum.

I am looking for some feedback or experiences folks have had towing with the 2010 4.6 3v. I recently purchased one with a 3.73 rear end. I hoping to find out what kind of experiences folks have had while towing and what weight they were towing. Also, any modifications you may have made.

I am looking at travel trailers and while it is rated for up to 9200lbs, I am well aware that is not realistic. I recently installed a brake controller and will be getting a load leveling hitch.

Check the payload sticker on the driver's door. That will most likely be your weight limiter.

Typically, a camper will have 10-15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. Mine has 13.6%.

An estimate of an appropriate weight of trailer would be the following:
Trailer wt. = (Truck payload - 100 lbs. hitch wt. - wt. of all passengers and cargo)/0.13

A more precise way would be to load the truck as it would be for towing and go weigh it. Then the estimated appropriate trailer weight would be:
Trailer wt. = (Truck GVWR - weight of the loaded truck)/0.13

Of course, sometimes that 0.13 can be more depending on how the trailer is loaded. It might have a higher percentage of the weight on the tongue.

Check the sticker underneath the hitch receiver for it's weight limit.

My truck is towing a rig that loads the truck to 94% of its weight limit and 82% of its combined weight towing limit. It had a "max trailer weight" of 9800 lbs., but with a 6640 lb. trailer and only the driver in the truck, 71% of the payload has been used up. A couple of hefty passengers would put it at the GVWR. I am satisfied with the way it performs as is. I don't have the same truck as yours, but I would expect that if you load yours to about the same percentage, it would perform satisfactorily.

Good luck with the hunt for a camper and with towing it. Once I figured out what my truck could tow and haul, and figured out what features I wanted on a toy hauler, it took me 53 weeks to find a good used one.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 4.6 3v Towing Quesitons-screen-shot-2017-06-04-5.29.10-pm.png  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

While I can't say for sure what you specifically can tow I can say that I pull a 5400# 26 foot trailer and I have the 3.55 rear end. Towed it all over the Rockies of western Canada without any problems.

Now I'm by far not the fastest on the road going up mountain passes but it does it. As stated watch the weight for your truck and you'll be fine.

I also get better gas mileage then my buddy with his Ego-Boost and we always get to the campground at the same time.

Last edited by EventHorizon; 06-05-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2010 4.6 3v also and it tows pretty good and was highly impressed on how she handled the big hills. My advice to you is to stay at 7000lbs and below. I towed a 02 mustang to Alabama from Kentucky last week which was about 6000-6500 lbs and I ran 75mph majority of the way with no sway or anything but I also have timbrens to stop trailer squat since my truck is leveled. Some people underrate the 4.6 3v but I say it's hell of a engine. Stay at 7k lbs or below and you'll be fine. I also towed my wife equinox which is heavier and this was before I installed timbrens. Good luck man
2010 4.6 3v Towing Quesitons-photo326.jpg
The following users liked this post:
J_lope82 (11-30-2020)
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SPLACK
I have a 2010 4.6 3v also and it tows pretty good and was highly impressed on how she handled the big hills. My advice to you is to stay at 7000lbs and below. I towed a 02 mustang to Alabama from Kentucky last week which was about 6000-6500 lbs and I ran 75mph majority of the way with no sway or anything but I also have timbrens to stop trailer squat since my truck is leveled. Some people underrate the 4.6 3v but I say it's hell of a engine. Stay at 7k lbs or below and you'll be fine. I also towed my wife equinox which is heavier and this was before I installed timbrens. Good luck man
Attachment 477731
I too have had a similar experience with my former truck, an '09 4.6L 3V 3.55 with tow package. I too added the OEM brake controller and always used a Reese WDH and Timbren SES progressive rubber springs. I didn't tow a high profile trailer but rather a homeowner grad 6 x 10 dump trailer. The trailer was rated at 9,998 lb but I always tried to stay at or below the CGVWR. With the WDH, I was always able to keep the front axle close to starting height. I don't know for certain how many tons I hauled with the 4.6L 3V. Lots of local loads of dirt, compost, stone, and wood mulch. Hauled coal from the PA coal fields for my and a few friends personal use. Also made 2 runs fully loaded to NC from NW NJ; one with a Ford TLB and the other with a load of boilers and CI radiators. Traded it in for a '17 3.5 EB 3.55 and enough capacity to fully use my tailer.