Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 volt for boat trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 12 volt for boat trailer

on my old suburban, I hooked up a positive wire to the 2 o’clock ? Position on the trailer 7 way plug and powered my boat trailer winch with no issues for 10 years. Unplugged trailer harness and used the 7 way plug to just get the boat on
anyone else still doing this?
It’s not a huge winch
Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Depends what truck you're talking about, and how it's wired.

(phone app link)

But that blade is the standard battery feed:

(phone app link)

If the truck's wire is heavy enough to carry the current the winch needs, AND if that circuit is turned on (some newer trucks turn off the battery until a trailer is detected), then you can use it to power the winch.

If either of those conditions is NOT met, you'd need a battery on the trailer to power the winch. The truck's battery wire would simply charge the battery (assuming the truck detects the trailer & turns that circuit on).
Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So do think I can just run a heavy wire and be done with it or is the trailer connection smart.? I never thought to think the truck was that smart it would be one less plug protruding from around the bumper
Old 10-16-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a newerr truck, and you want unconditional 12 V to power your winch, then you will need to run a separate 12 V power supply to the connector. I am looking to do the same thing and will require replacing the F150 pin connecter as I cannot connect the 10 gauge wire to the current connector. I plan on running a 10 gauge wire from the battery connection under the hood through a 30 amp circuit breaker back to the seven pin connector.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by VA F150guy
...is the trailer connection smart.?
How could I know? Or anyone else? You won't put your truck info in your signature.

Quick Reply: 12 volt for boat trailer