Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACTUAL Max Tow on a 13,200 lb rated F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACTUAL Max Tow on a 13,200 lb rated F150

Hi Y'all,

So I pick up my new truck this tuesday. Got an '18 F150 Screw FX4 6.5' bed with all the boxes checked to hit 13,200 lbs max tow capacity. (3.5L/3.55/Max Tow Package/20" wheels). I even got the extended tow mirrors.

I am now shopping for a Travel Trailer. I would like to hear from anyone who has real world experience towing towards the max in a similar F150 rated at 13,200. There are 5 of us (2 Adults, 3 small kids) so we will need a bigger TT, a bunkhouse unit most likely. For various reasons, I am shying away from having a 5th wheel hitch installed (obstructions in the bed, holes drilled in the bed - for starters) and would like to see if I can accomplish our goal using the stock trailer hitch.

What would you all say is my real world line in the sand for GVWR and Tongue weight with this truck. We plan on traveling the country including trips over the rockies. I want to be able to relax while towing with no white knuckles - but on the other hand, have a trailer big enough to meet our needs for comfortable camping.

Last, what sort of bolt on leveler/sway kits would you recommend to improve the ride as well. Something that is not a PITA to attach and detach.

Last edited by LawOfMD; 09-30-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome !!! There is a lot of information within the forum regarding towing and travel trailers. Would love to see some pics of your ride.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by D_D_in_KY
Welcome !!! There is a lot of information within the forum regarding towing and travel trailers. Would love to see some pics of your ride.

Here she is at the dealership - waiting patiently for me to swoop in and pick up. Tuesday. Tuesday. Tuesday.
The following users liked this post:
Atmosphere (10-19-2021)
Old 09-30-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice truck! Take a picture of the sticker on the driver's door jamb, that should list payload. On my truck, I run out of payload way before I run out of tow rating, around 60% of tow rating. Very frustrating that I can't take full advantage of my towing capacity.

And never trust the RV sales people. Their objective is to sell you a trailer. They use misleading concepts like "dry weight" to steer buyers into bigger rigs than they can safely tow. Some friends of mine got royally screwed by a national chain RV sales company. First, they sold them on dry weight. Dry weight typically does not include batteries. It also doesn't include options. In their case, options included a spare tire (who buys a trailer without a spare???), awning, oven, air conditioner, etc. Lots of options! The dealer also told them to ignore their payload sticker. And on and on it went. I told my friend, "the good news is you will be getting a NEW truck!!!" In the end, you are the buyer and YOU will be responsible for the choice you make. I always recommend to RV shoppers to have the dealer run the trailer across a scale. Will they want to do it? Of course not. Ignorance is bliss! But they also want your $$$. I wouldn't be worried about offending the RV sales person!

I understand your reluctance with a fifth wheel. Given a family of five, you are likely going to have some stuff stored in that truck bed like bicycles, grill, and so on. And realize as a trailer gets longer and longer, you will start limiting your choices of campsites. Myself, I travel every year out west and I love the National Parks (best deal in camping out there IMHO, and by camping inside the park, you don't have to wait in the entry line every day to get in). Many of the NP campgrounds were built decades ago, and are not big rig friendly. Both the roads within the campgrounds and the sites themselves are tight. But in my limited experience, the fifth wheel I owned years ago towed like a dream. Sweet, very sweet! Of course, fifth wheels have higher pin weight, using up precious payload faster than a pull behind. So when you see a fifth wheel trailer, the TV will likely either be a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. I had a 1 ton truck pulling my fifth wheel, only really needed a 3/4 ton, but I got a deal on the 1 ton.

Last edited by thrifty biil; 09-30-2018 at 09:02 AM.
LawOfMD (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by thrifty biil
Nice truck! Take a picture of the sticker on the driver's door jamb, that should list payload. On my truck, I run out of payload way before I run out of tow rating, around 60% of tow rating.

And never trust the RV sales people. Their objective is to sell you a trailer. They use misleading concepts like "dry weight" to steer buyers into bigger rigs than they can safely tow.
Thank you.

Sticker says It has 7050 GVWR.

Last edited by LawOfMD; 09-30-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Your payload is going to be 2050# (4WD), 2250#(2WD) or less. Options will drop the number from there. The higher payload trucks have either 7,600 or 7,850 GVWR ratings. Thats a big mistake I made when I got my Lariat truck. The higher the model, the more options are added and the lower the payload.

From the door sticker, you then have to deduct any dealer options, or options you install. Example: truck bed cap, pretty handy, but out goes 200 pounds from your payload. Then you have the weight of a family of five, plus the weight of "stuff" packed in the truck or bed, and the weight of your WDH. 2050 pounds of payload can turn into 1,000 pounds pretty quickly. Then figure 13% tongue weight, and your towing capacity is only 7,700 pounds.

And do figure you are going to need a WDH to handle your trailer. Standard hitch is only rated for 500#. At 13%, thats a 3,850 pound trailer. The trailer you describe is going to weigh a lot more than that. Heck, my all fiberglass 19 foot trailer weighs close to that amount. And no way a 19 foot egg is going to handle a family of five.

Next to last page on this brochure:
https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018

Last edited by thrifty biil; 09-30-2018 at 09:25 AM.
LawOfMD (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

You aren’t going to get anywhere near maximum towing capacity.

You’re going to want something smaller for towing a significant distance. The smaller the better.

For travel trailers, something like a Lance or an Airstream will tow the best. It’s not too tall and has a low centre of gravity.

A bigger trailer is nice when you get to the campground, but if you’re doing long distance travel with a family you’re probably not going to be spending much time in it. You’ll be off seeing the sites.

If you’re camping closer to home for longer periods in one place, then it’s nice to have the room inside on rainy days.

LawOfMD (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

We need the number from the maximum payload sticker. It wil say something to the effect of, "the weight of all occupants and their cargo cannot exceed nnnn lbs". From this you need to subtract the weight of all passengers, cargo and after manufacture add-ons you intend to carry in the truck. You should also subtract 100 lbs for the weight distributing hitch. The remainder is the amount available to carry the trailer tongue weight. Take this number and divide by .13 (13%) and you will have a middle of the range estimate of the maximum loaded trailer your truck can tow. I also tend to run a 15% tongue weight as well for a worst case scenario. Most folks end up with a lot lower capacity than they thought they had.
LawOfMD (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LawOfMD

Here she is at the dealership - waiting patiently for me to swoop in and pick up. Tuesday. Tuesday. Tuesday.
Looks like a 502 lariat. Probably about 1600 pounds of payload would be my guess(look at yellow sticker). Put a spray in bedliner and a bed cover you have about 1500 left for passengers. You mention 5 people. If you average 150 a piece thats 750 pounds of leaving you 750 for hitch weight. You need a WDH leaving 650 for tongue weight. Loaded up a tt is usually 13-15% tongue weight. 650/.15 = 4333 pound travel trailer you can tow assuming no cargo but people in the truck.
LawOfMD (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

6500 pound trailer is about what you will be able to tow with that without exceeding ratings. Know this for fact since it's what I tow with a Platinum which has nearly the same payload as a 502A lariat. Of course this also depends on what is carried in the truck as well. The more people, the heavier they are, the lower that trailer weight will be. This of course is in regards to a Travel trailer, cargo trailers, flat beds, etc. have differing weights and techniques for towing.

Wish this was stickied so wouldn't have to keep searching for it, but everything you need to know is here https://www.f150forum.com/f82/number...9/#post5446734
LawOfMD (09-30-2018)

Quick Reply: ACTUAL Max Tow on a 13,200 lb rated F150