11" Drop! Really!?? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.

11" Drop! Really!??

Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 PM

Default 11" Drop! Really!??

I have a 2014 F150 with the bilstiens all the way around at max height and I swapped the rear blocks with 3" blocks then I have some Nitto 35" tires. I picked up a PJ 77" X 12' utility trailer today and measured up the drop I would need. In my head I was thinking like a 6" drop or something, maybe 8" at most...

So I disconnect the trailer and lower it down with my level on the tongue. I measure from the ground to the top of my reciever and get 23" then I measure from the ground to the top of where the ball sits in the trailer and got 15". Then factor in the roughly 3" ball and I get a difference of 11"s

is it possible that I need a hitch with an 11" drop to drag this trailer around level? What about factoring in the UTV that will be on it from time to time and the truck loaded down? Should I go with an 8" to factor in the sag ill have?

does anybody else have a similar set up, if so what drop are you using? I dont want to spend the money on an adjustable right now...

thanks
Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 AM

Any insight on this before I buy something? Anybody with a similar set up?
Old 07-14-2018, 12:41 PM

You donít add anything for the height of the ball. The ball is made to have zero inches of rise unless you buy a ball that has a specified amount of rise.
You need a. 8 inch drop.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Ammons View Post
You donít add anything for the height of the ball. The ball is made to have zero inches of rise unless you buy a ball that has a specified amount of rise.
You need a. 8 inch drop.
I'm not adding anything. What I have is 23" to the top of the receiver then 15" to the top of the ball.

I cant use that measurement because receivers dont come with *****. The 3" I am taking away is the height of the ball which down not factor into the height..
Old 07-15-2018, 08:53 AM

Ok... the way you wrote it was confusing. Take the measurement to the top of your receiver and subtract the height from the ground to the bottom of the coupler.
We already know you need a drop hitch so 15-23=-8
8 inch drop

edit, so to the bottom of the coupler will be the measurement to use,not to the top.

Also look here. It tells you how to measure. Itís only two numbers.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx

Last edited by Brandon Ammons; 07-15-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:39 PM

Can you flip the axles to the bottom of the leaf springs? I did this on a utility trailer to lift it up. Then you may only need a 3 inch drop. I also wouldn't worry if it is perfectly level. Like you said, it will sag some.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 11" Drop! Really!??

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: