Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SportRanger's Build - 2016 XLT SCrew **PIC HEAVY!**

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default SportRanger's Build - 2016 XLT SCrew **PIC HEAVY!**

Hi everyone, I've been around on here and my wallet probably wishes I wasn't. But, I love to tinker on my trucks and I am glad to be back in a Ford pickup after a long detour.

My genesis as it were, happened almost 11 years ago. On July 3rd, 2006, I bought my very first new car. A 2006 Ranger Sport 4x2. 3.0 V6 with a 5-speed manual. I loved that truck, and it is the inspiration for my screen name. Here's a photo!

However, in 2008 I adopted my dog. Not one to put my house spoiled pup in the bed, driving a 5-speed with a pup that like to wander the cab soon became a hassle. Therefore, in 2009 the Ranger was traded off for a Jeep. That began my Detour from Ford. However, on December 26th, 2016 I was back again. I picked up my beautiful, black, 2016 SuperCrew XLT.

Here she is, on that day I was back into a black Ford pickup!

Well, never one to leave a truck alone I started modding...

First, I love music, so I bought the Kicker VSS SoundStage system with the 10" subwoofer and 4-channel amplifier/processor. It definitely helped, but I wanted more. So I replaced every speaker but the sub with Infinity Reference speakers. I cut the wires to the mid-range and tweeters on the front door 6x9s to allow the center channel and A-pillar tweeters to handle that responsibility. Now my stereo sounds 10,000x better. Clear and loud, the way I like it! (No photos of this project though)

Then, came the Anzo Gen 2 headlights to replace the aweful output of the factory halogens. Somewhere in here, I also tinted the front windows 20% to match the rear tint.

Next, the Lariat illuminated visor w/ homelink mod... Worth every penny IMHO!

A short time later, I continued the murdered look I was going for with the Morimoto LED fogs and a Morimoto HID kit from the retrofit source.

Well, The front was all LED and HID, might as well change the rear. In the tail lights I installed Sylvania Zevo LEDs in the tail/turn/marker light and the standard Sylvania 5000K reverse LED bulbs. I'm not happy with the reverse LEDs, so I have some new bulbs on the way. I also did the factory LED third brake/cargo swap.

I recently found out that I will be leaving the great state of Alaska in the winter. ROAD TRIP!!!! But I want to be super comfortable when I move, so I picked up a set of Katzkins off ebay... They look great, and are super comfortable!!!

And most recently, I wanted to do a few small things to make my truck really stand out. So, off went the FX4 stickers, EcoBoost badges, and tailgate F150 badge. I plastidipped the fender F150 badges, installed PTM mirror caps and installed some DIY puddle lamps. Other things not seen are some Forscan mods like global windows, head seat controls in the sync home page.

Still to come: I have a 30" Single Row $100 Amazon light bar that I need to figure out how to mount in the grille sitting in the garage. I want to install either KO2s or DuraTracs for my drive down the ALCAN this winter, I have a CB radio setup on order waiting to be delivered and I think I will attempt to build a DIY wooden tonneau cover since shipping a BakFlip to Alaska is almost as expensive as the cover itself! I also want to install ambient lighting of some sort. That's about all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I will keep finding things to keep making my truck mine!

Hope you all enjoyed this novel and thank you all for your threads on how to DIY my truck!
Old 06-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Looks great, PTM mirror caps & Anzos are on my radar too. The Katzkins look great, nice upgrade.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:27 AM

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts

Katzkins look like they fit well. Any other pics of them? Curious about how they look and if they really fit all around.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by RockUF150
Katzkins look like they fit well. Any other pics of them? Curious about how they look and if they really fit all around.
I'm out of town right now, but when I get back I'll grab some more photos of them. Overall they do fit very well, there's only a couple of small spots where they aren't totally snug. Mostly on the rear headrests.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:27 AM

Couple new mods in the last few weeks. I bought/installed a Lund hard trifold tonneau cover. No pics yet and I did the always amber mod to my Anzo switchbacks.

Next on the list, I ordered OEM BLIS tail lights that I will be installing next week.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:23 PM
I like to eat.

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

Beautiful start. I might PM you about the vanity mirror swap!