Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L engine swap - motor mount issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.4L engine swap - motor mount issue

I have a '99 F-150 that I'm currently swapping with an '03 motor.

I pulled my bad motor last week. When pulling motor I took out the lower horizontal bolts from motor mount on each side, leaving the actually mounting brackets attached to motor by the three bolts. After getting the motor out I figured that this route would be difficult in reverse when dropping new motor in. So I removed the mounting brackets from the motor, dropped the motor in and mated with Trans, bell housing bolts in and tight, and I got the passenger side engine mount in, and bolted like it should be. Using a cherry picker to lift motor, by the way. With motor lifted as far as I'm comfortable with, without feeling like something is going to break, there is not enough room to get the motor mount in and around (behind) oil dipstick tube and dropped into cradle. I can get mount into cradle but not tucked behind oil dipstick tube. . So just to clarify, I have motor lifted as high as I believe it can go, with a cherry picker, and I cannot get motor mount in and around dipstick tube to drop it into cradle and bolt to block. In my unprofessional option is seems removing the dipstick tube is my only option other than pulling motor back out, bolting mounts on and going to the whole process of mating with Trans, which is obviously not fun. I tried pulling the dip tube from block after unbolting tube from head above manifold but she is in there good. I also tried removing dip tube from pulled motor on floor after soaking in weasel **** and putting heat to it, just to see what I was getting into, but it didn't want to come. Didn't spend a crazy amount of time on it but it seems difficult. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, dudes!

Quick Reply: 5.4L engine swap - motor mount issue