Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruby Red 2017 XLT SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ruby Red 2017 XLT SCrew

So I made the decision to get rid of my 2009 FX4 Screw in Blue Flame and pick up a 2017 XLT Screw in Ruby Red. I loved the blue flame but decided I needed a more mature color now that I'm in my 30s. I ended up getting the 302A package as they ended up cheaper than the 301A after the rebates. I got the 2.7EB, which I initially didn't want to mess with but was fairly impressed when I drove it. I've put on 300 miles in the 4 days I've had it and I'm averaging over 20mpg so far without it being broken in. If I get any more than this I'd be ecstatic.

Mods will be limited on this as I got engaged a few hours after picking the truck up, so all my money is now accounted for

I'm planning on leveling with a higher end coilover. I had RC pucks on the 2009 and the ride eventually deteriorated, which I wouldn't be able to stand on a brand new truck.

Wheels and tires will probably be a 20x9 Fuel, low positive offset like a +14, with 305/55 Toyo RTs.

I'll end up with an intake and cat back, and that will probably be it.

Any suggestions, let me know! I'm pretty excited to get started.
Attached Thumbnails Ruby Red 2017 XLT SCrew-ledge-park.jpg  
Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 PM

Took about 3 hours cleaning it up tonight. I went a little nuts. I went so far as to take out the cup holder inserts and wash those and clean out everything underneath. I got in the door jams and cleaned all that out too. I think my neighbors thought I was crazy. I've just been using a spray wax from Turtle Wax. Any other ideas on what works for a quick detail without going to a full wax?

Old 08-26-2017, 01:20 AM
I like to eat.

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

My twin, except mine is white. Looks boss, boss.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Nice truck! As far as colors and age, thats subjective. I am 44 and just traded my E4 Vermillion Red 2007 Supercrew for a 2017 N6 Lightning Blue Supercrew and couldn't love the color any more. This blue is darker than the Blue Flame. Congrats on the engagement!!
Old 03-22-2019, 03:00 AM

Default Finally...

After two years and 30k miles, and buying the wheels/tires in May 2018, I finally got my wheels/tires and level installed today.

The wheels are Fuel Vector 17x8.5, +7, wrapped in 305/70 Nitto Terra Grappler G2s. I picked them up used for an awesome price from another forum member here with only 8-9k miles on them. I live somewhat close to Custom Offsets, so they did the install of a TGC 2" level, rebalanced the tires, mounted, and did an alignment. Work was done in about 6 hours for a good price. The 17s on 34s is quite a change from my initial 20s on 33s thought I had, but as I researched more I loved the off road look. Plus with going to the north woods of Wisconsin a few times a year plus light off roading for hunting, it was practical as well. Hopefully the pics don't rotate when I upload them. They don't really do it justice, the look is a little more beefy and aggressive in person.

I couldn't believe it, but I ended up getting the 34x12.25 tire with no trimming at all, and I still have about 1" of clearance from the crash bars.

Life events have kind of coincided with truck stuff. I picked the truck up from the dealer the day I got engaged, bought the wheels/tires a week before I got married, and got them installed today when our daughter will be arriving 3-27 unless she makes a surprise appearance before that. I'm lucky that my wife has been VERY patient with me about the truck, but I think she understands how patient I've been as well with waiting a year to install the wheels.

Next up is changing the grille and headlights. I picked up an OEM Lariat Sport grille on eBay for $30 in mint condition, and OEM Special Edition halogen housings with LED bulbs in both high and low beams.

The following users liked this post:
Custom Offsets (03-25-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts

Wheels look great! Nice mods all around!
michaellake (04-30-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 12:29 AM

Default New grille and headlights / LED bulbs

Today I installed a Lariat Sport grille that was a sweet eBay find for $30, and a set of OEM Special Edition (non-LED) headlight housings with LED bulbs for both high and low beams. I think the darker appearance of the lights, plus the grille, make for a much more aggressive look. It just looks so much better! These lights are crazy bright, too.

Side note: Big thanks to my best friend who helped with the install. We did some work to his Tacoma's suspension after we did my work. We had to install some spacers to bring his CV angles back to spec after he added a lift. His Taco is in the pics below. I truly think he has the best looking Toyota in our area. If I ever left the F-150 world (yeah, right) it would probably be for a Tacoma.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

AND FINALLY, A NO-HOMO TRUCK PIC WITH THE TACOMA:

Next non-mod will probably be removing the "Sport" bed sticker.
Next mods will likely be lighting related. I'd like some yellow/amber tinted fog lights, a single row LED bar between the grille/bumper, as well as side shot LED cube ditch lights mounted on the hood.
Also, maybe a nice tonneau.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:26 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I have looked at your thread several times and each time think how great the wheels look. Great looking all the way around, but the wheels set everything off.

Craig
michaellake (05-01-2019)