koendog's mall crawler-learning the hard way - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back  Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Members Builds
koendog's mall crawler-learning the hard way > koendog's mall crawler-learning the hard way
Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.

koendog's mall crawler-learning the hard way

Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Default koendog's mall crawler-learning the hard way

Little late to the build-thread game as I picked up my truck Thanksgiving weekend. Wife insisted on getting a truck for our next vehicle so we'd have something to tow a popup camper. Never really been a truck guy, but as soon as I drove this thing off the lot, I was hooked. I love it. Here she is, day one...

The STX package had everything I insisted on if I was going to drive a truck: center console, 8" Sync 3 display, paint matched bumpers, and black interior (grey and black anyway). The only thing I really wish it had was an integrated garage door opener. I wasn't sure about the column shifter at first, but I will tell you, it's nice having the extra space in the console. Use it all the time. I bought the truck used with 7,500 miles, and the previous owner had the black emblems on it. Pretty sure they are Plasti-Dip, but I don't know for sure. Some of the options it has are the Class IV hitch, backup camera, carpet, and 3.55 ELD. Engine is the 2.7L EB, which is plenty for the minimal towing I'll be doing.

Now to the mods. First up was a Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit (spacer) and wheels/tires. This is where the learning the hard way comes in. I didn't understand offset enough to know EXACTLY how it can impact the look of the truck. I picked Fuel Lethal 20x10 (first mistake) wheels with -12 offset (second mistake) with Toyo Open Country R/T 305/55's. I wanted to keep the tires from sticking out too much (I prefer the tucked look) which is why I picked the -12 offset instead of -24. lol Here's what I ended up with:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it looks terrible (definitely seen worse). But after a few days, I realized it just wasn't working for me. Combing back through the Custom Wheel Offset site and running different tire sizes on tiresize.com, I realized that a 20x9 with a +18 offset is more what I'm looking for. Live and learn, eh? Sigh. I suppose another option would be to put a 4" lift on it and leave the wheels as is, but I don't really need or want a lift. Pocket flares would help, but I don't think they'll do enough to salvage the look I want. So now the plan is to sell my stock wheels (although I considered long and hard to go back to them), buy some aftermarket's that I like and sell these wheels. I'll be able to keep these tires this way as well. We'll see how it goes.

Next up will be the new wheels, OEM wheel well liners (a white truck without liners is not a good thing), tint and probably a smaller antenna. Need to figure out what to do about a bed liner. I'll probably call the local Line-X dealer soon and get an estimate but, with a white truck, I'm really worried about over-spray. Need to find someone who knows what they're doing.

Last edited by koendog; 01-05-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by koendog View Post
Little late to the build-thread game as I picked up my truck Thanksgiving weekend. Wife insisted on getting a truck for our next vehicle so we'd have something to tow a popup camper. Never really been a truck guy, but I'll tell you, as soon as I drove this thing off the lot, I was hooked. I love it. Here she is, day one...

The STX package had everything I insisted on if I was going to drive a truck: center console, 8" Sync 3 display, paint matched bumpers, and black interior (grey and black anyway). The only thing I really wish it had was an integrated garage door opener. I wasn't sure about the column shifter at first, but I will tell you, it's nice having the extra space in the console. Use it all the time. I bought the truck used with 7,500 miles, and the previous owner had the black emblems on it. Pretty sure they are Plasti-Dip, but I don't know for sure. Some of the options it has are the Class IV hitch, backup camera, carpet, and 3.55 ELD. Engine is the 2.7L EB, which is plenty for the minimal towing I'll be doing.

Now to the mods. First up was a Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit (spacer) and wheels/tires. This is where the learning the hard way comes in. I didn't understand offset enough to know EXACTLY how it can impact the look of the truck. I picked Fuel Lethal 20x10 (first mistake) wheels with -12 offset (second mistake) with Toyo Open Country R/T 305/55's. I wanted to keep the tires from sticking out too much (I prefer the tucked look) which is why I picked the -12 offset instead of -24. lol Here's what I ended up with:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it looks terrible (definitely seen worse). But after a few days, I realized it just wasn't working for me. Combing back through the Custom Wheel Offset site and running different tire sizes on tiresize.com, I realized that a 20x9 with a +18 offset is more what I'm looking for. Live and learn, eh? Sigh. I suppose another option would be to put a 4" lift on it and leave the wheels as is, but I don't really need or want a lift. Pocket flares would help, but I don't think they'll do enough to salvage the look I want. So now the plan is to sell my stock wheels (although I considered long and hard to go back to them), buy some aftermarket's that I like and sell these wheels. I'll be able to keep these tires this way as well. We'll see how it goes.

Next up will be the new wheels, OEM wheel well liners (a white truck without liners is not a good thing), tint and probably a smaller antenna. Need to figure out what to do about a bed liner. I'll probably call the local Line-X dealer soon and get an estimate but, with a white truck, I'm really worried about over-spray. Need to find someone who knows what they're doing.
I think the amount of stance you have there looks absolutely awesome man. Any more pics of the truck? And did you rub with that setup?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 PM
The Anti-Chrome

Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,631 Posts

I agree, that truck is PERFECT. If you are ever in Kansas, I will trade my 20x9.5 +6 offset wheels with you........
Old 01-05-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jasonfx4 View Post
Any more pics of the truck? And did you rub with that setup?
Thanks. You’re not alone, most people think it looks fine as is. If I go to a +18 offset, we're only talking about the tires moving in just over an inch. I know it sounds crazy, but I think I’ll be happier with it. I think I’ll also opt for wheels without the silver rivets or whatever they are around the edge of the wheel. Looking for a mostly black wheel without a lot of “flare” to it.

It did rub, but I knew it would. Had it installed by a shop here in town dedicated to trucks. They knew exactly what trimming was going to be needed. Ended up with front and rear crash bars being trimmed, not removed. I could have gotten away without rubbing altogether if I had gone with a 285 or maybe a 295 on a wheel with less offset. Another “live and learn”...

Here’s a couple more pics

​​​​
​​​​​
Old 01-06-2018, 06:58 PM

Default OEM wheel well liners

OEM wheel well liners came yesterday and got installed today. What a difference. And they were a breeze to install. Highly recommended.

​​​​
​​

Last edited by koendog; 01-07-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:38 AM

Love it !
Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Luke

Hell yeah! Not crazy, just enough.
now tint those windows.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:29 AM
F150 Vendor

As it currently sits this is a great looking build, but we understand every driver wants to make it his own. Hope you get the setup you're happy with soon!
Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Looks great.

Another option would be to keep the current setup and add a set of fender flares. Around 1.5" wide should do.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 AM
I like to go FAST

Looks really nice to me as is, if you darkened those from windows up a bit would be a real beauty.

Nice looking truck, always liked white.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: