Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 XLT Super Crew 3.5L Sport 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2016 XLT Super Crew 3.5L Sport 4x4

Even though this is still in the shop getting things finalized, I'll be getting it back tonight with all the work completed and figured I'd got ahead and make a placeholder post for the repairs/changes

This is when it was a day old:

Originally, the only changes I was going to make on this were doing a Line-X bedliner and window tint on the front windows to match the back, and then eventually a hard cover.

But (as many of you know already) a deer decided to change those plans a bit.

So, on top of the Line-X and window tint, I'm having the guys at my local Line-X also replace the broken stuff up front, since it was all just plastic that was broken. Got a Putco Boss mesh grille (the one without the LEDs in it) and a Putco punch out bumper grille to replace the broken stuff.

The headlight was also broken, and I was originally going to replace the OEM ones for the new Recons, but a family member was able to help me get a new replacement OEM for 200 bucks, and going with the Recons at the moment was going to be cheaper than buying the OEM myself directly from Ford. But, since I could get the OEM for less than the Recons... Well, for now OEM will do. Once I get these repairs paid off, and the taxes I'm going to owe paid off, the Recons will be the next purchase along with the hard cover, and maybe a bull bar.

The deer also broke the actual frame of the grille that the Putco needed to attach to (and that surrounds it), so I ended up having to buy a new OEM grille as well to get that part replaced (originally didn't know we'd need it). Since it was a late addition to the repairs, it wasn't going to be able to be painted in time for the repair, so after some discussion with a few family members, I am going to have the Line-X guys spray it I saw some pictures that they had where they did very similar things for other trucks, and I'd have to say it should look pretty cool! And, not to mention that it should help that plastic piece be a bit more durable in case of another deer strike (and that coupled with it being a metal grille should also help minimize damage).

ETA: Just got a call back from the Line-X place: They didn't read the instructions thoroughly for the Putco grill. The thing they needed to connect to was the air dam behind the grille, not the grille itself. Once they pulled the Putco out of the box, they realized I didn't need the full grille. So, they're returning that for me and I don't have to worry about having anything other than the bed line-x'ed.

I also removed the Sport 4x4 stickers on the bed, as well as the Ecoboost badges on the doors. I've spoken with the Line-X guys about maybe doing plastidip on the badges on the sides and the trunk, but I may also buy the black and red badges and replace them. Only bad thing about that is that I don't know if I want the red.... I'm thinking of doing white as the highlight color on the truck, so that may not go well with it. I don't know what I'll do with this yet. New badges would probably run me a bit over 100 bucks.. I've got time to think about this one.

I saw the truck this morning so I could get my parking pass for work, and the last thing they need to do is the main grille, which they should have the new piece from the OEM in this morning. Headlight is replaced, bed liner is in, windows are tinted, the residue from the stickers and badges removed, so I should be able to have pictures later tonight

Last edited by bojesphob; 02-09-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 PM

Got it back, and I think it turned out really well!

Here's the front: Putco Boss Grille and Putco Bumper Grille

Line-X

Side with sticker and Ecoboost badge removed. The cab looks odd because they washed the bed to clean off the sticker residue.

Then the window tint

If the sun is out tomorrow I'll see if I can get better lighting for the pics.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks good. Where in Ohio are you?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by BAM298
Looks good. Where in Ohio are you?
Outside of Cincy. It's a nice area, but the drivers are terrible and the weather sucks most of the time. At least up near you guys you have a little more constant weather...

Got up this morning and my fiance had set out some boxes for me for Valentine's Day: Weathertech floor mats! She said that since I just got this back that I might as well have them a little early. So, I'll add those to the list of modifications
Old 02-10-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Very nice looking!
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by venatic
Very nice looking!
Thanks

Got the Weathertech floor mats put in, and I really like them! Have an antenna topper coming in so that the antenna doesn't vibrate out of the body of the truck when I park in the parking garage at work (I'm sure I bug the people behind me as I go through the garage doing 10 MPH making sure it doesn't hit the concrete floor supports at the wrong speed/angle).

My next possible purchase once these current changes are paid off I think I might go for the Special Edition OEM headlights to more complement the black of the truck, but still stick with OEM:

And, after that a hard cover for the bed, and a bull bar possibly, and probably would be the Westin:

courtesy of American Muscle
Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 PM

I FINALLY was able to get some better pictures taken after I got done washing it this morning. I love the look of black trucks when they're freshly clean!

Trending Topics

Old 04-03-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! I am thinking about that same grill and bumper insert.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by James Case
Looking good! I am thinking about that same grill and bumper insert.
I really like them I thought about doing the main grille with the LEDs on the top, but decided I was going to go with the more subdued look with it. I also REALLY like that the grille is metal as opposed to the plastic one that was on it.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

Buy those headlights, you won't regret it!

Before and after...

Quick Reply: 2016 XLT Super Crew 3.5L Sport 4x4