Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 White Lariat Chrome Package Build (White/Black/Chrome)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 04:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2011 White Lariat Chrome Package Build (White/Black/Chrome)

Hi All,

For the past 3 years I was a [proud] Dodge owner. I know, I know..my bad. Late September 2013 I was in an accident which involved hydroplaning and doing a 360 on one of the busiest highways in the US. Luckily, I walked away completely unharmed, but my baby [the truck] didn't.

I recently purchased a 2011 White Lariat with the chrome package, entertainment system, moon roof, trailer hitch, the works. It was in absolute fantastic shape minus the truck bed which was completely beat up and had no liner. It had 24,300 miles when I bought it and the dealer had it listed for $35,000. After several days of going to the dealer to negotiate, I was able to get them to $30,000. I put $10,000 down (insurance cash) and got a 2% APR loan for the remainder. Please - Do not tell me if this is a bad deal! My heart can't take it. But, I just wanted others who are shopping around to know my number.

In my negotiation I included a few other things required by the dealer including replacing one OEM rim which was scratched up, additional copies of OEM keys cut & programmed, bed liner installed at cost and that they buff out a couple of small scratches I noticed.

A few things to note: I live in NYC and this is my daily driver. I put about 12-15k miles a year on my trucks and it's mostly city driving. When looking for a new truck my options were really limited. There are very few available in the city. I also was on a time crunch as I didn't have a car and was in need of one.

For those in NYC looking to buy a pickup, last year I spent easily $4,000 in gas - I was getting between 7-9mpg city on my 2003 Dodge with 315/75/17 BFG A/Ts. I also commute to Manhattan daily and paid approx $5,000 in parking - FML.

*** Please, don't tell me to get rid of all the chrome. When I first bought this truck that was my goal, but I really love the look of the grill of this truck with chrome. For now, it will stay. Eventually, I will probably black out my grill and PTM my bumpers, door handles and mirrors. Until then, shhh.

Here she is the day I took her off the lot:

The first order of business was taking care of that totally beat up bed. It had been used commerically before and was not taken care of. I went to an auto store and got 2 rattle cans of clear paint and painted the entire bed and tailgate over all the scratches to help prevent rust. I did a good amount of research and settled on the Dual Liner. Despite the dealer promising to install the liner, I just did it myself. It was so damn easy it didn't matter. I am overall very happy with it and gave a full review here.

Last edited by BIG_WHITE_HYPE; 11-09-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:14 AM

Default Continued

Before I even bought the truck, I knew I was going to immediately upgrade to Harley Davidson Heads & Tails. After reading up a little more, I decided I wanted to go with cherry smoked LED tails & 3rd brake light, but I did get the HD Heads. I also did an LED swap in my reverse lights and interior lights. The bulbs I bought didn't fit my license plate lights or puddle lamps, so I will replace those shortly.

Full headlight review.

Full Smoked Cherry LED Tails review.

Full Smoked LED 3rd Brake light review.

I also purchased a couple things online, including remote tailgate actuator, OEM remote start and power, heated, memory, chrome tow mirrors and backup camera. I originally planned to do some of these myself, but since the remote tailgate, start & backup camera all needed to run wiring in similar places I thought I could get a good price and get it done quickly by paying for it. I ended up having an issue with the remote start and the backup camera. The remote start I bought online only came with keys -- No system! and the backup camera, while claiming to be an OEM camera, didn't come with the converter from the RCA cables to the factory Nav, so that isn't installed yet. I ended up purchasing the remote start system from the guy I went to for $250 including installation, plus the $199 I had already spent on the previous system with the factory OEM keys. I also spent $140 to get said keys cut and programmed. He also charged $100 to install the remote tailgate and $100 to install the mirrors. **Note: I went to three shops that day before someone said they could do it that day. I work a lot and my time is valuable so I didn't feel like waiting for another day or a better price. I do regret being lazy and not installing it myself.

Full Chrome Power, Heated, Memory Tow Mirror review.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 AM

Default Continued

Finally, after several weeks of research I landed on the level kit, rims and tires I wanted. Even until the moment I ordered them (and put them on), I was really not sure if I would have any issues with rubbing. As mentioned earlier I live in NYC and this is my daily driver. I didn't want to go too big or aggressive to hopefully help on lasting longer, getting better mileage and ofcourse, fitting. Based on a recommendation from my brother, I ordered from 4wheelparts.com

I decided on a set of 20" XD Monsters and 285/55/20 and a 2" Pro Comp level kit. Tires were already mounted and balanced and also included TPMS Sensors. I paid $2,700 even with tax and delivery. His original price was over $2,900 so do your best to haggle. It took 7 days on the dot to arrive. The delivery guy was kind've annoying but there was nowhere to put his truck, so we went to a parking lot down the block and he loaded the tires directly into the bed of my truck. NYC..

I had everything installed the same day by my regular shop this time. They charged $200 to do everything. Not sure how this is, but these guys do a lot of regular stuff for me for free and been going to them since I got my license.

I recommend 4wheelparts.com - They were extremely kind, helpful and knowledable.

************* There was a problem with my rims ***************
My shop called me up and asked me to come look at the rims. Ofcourse, after they installed the level kit, mounted all the new wheels, did the alignment, they went to put on the XD caps on the rims, and the very last rim had an issue. The holes cut for the caps on the actual rim were not machined properly. They were too small and the caps didn't fit. The cap fit fine on other rims, but no cap fit on this rim.

I called 4wheelparts and was lucky enough that the guy I ordered from was in. I explained my issue and emailed a picture of the problem from my phone while at the shop. 4wheelparts agreed to send a new rim to replace that one but had to charge me for it until the other rim is returned. Despite the first set of rims taking 7 days to arrive, this one arrived in 2 days, shipped directly to my local shop. As of today, I haven't done the swap. They also agreed to pay any costs to the shop to switch the tires, sensors, mount and balance. My shop quoted $30 to do that.

I couldn't help but snap another pic while I was there:

Here's how she sits today:

Rims & Tires: 20" XD Monsters 20x9 - 265/55/20 Terra Grapplers

It's been raining here, but hopefully I'll get a nice pic on a sunny day with a real camera soon.

So far I haven't done any performance upgrades, as I am not really too knowledgable on the subject. I have been doing my research and as I get more comfortable I will start to do that.

Some more things coming soon:
- AMP Power Steps
- LED Rigid SR-Q Diffused back up lights
- Back up camera (Ford OEM Emblem)
- LED License plates, puddle lights
- LED Bed Lights
- FORD Wheel Well Liners
- Black Diamond Plate Toolbox
- Retractable Tonneau Cover (Leaning towards American Work Cover but damn $3k?, maybe not - my girlfriends car cost $3k)
- Go Rhino Black hitchstep & Bull Bar (prevent those pesky NYC Parkers)
- Bolt Lock Set (Hitch receiver, pad lock, cable lock, toolbox retro fit all work with your OEM truck key)
- AVS Seamless Black Gloss Window & Pole Covers
- Front window tint
- Decals & Emblems
- Whatever else I ordered, can't even remember. Everyday I get a surprise in the mail.

Stay tuned! I am obsessed.

If you are interested in OEM Mirrors, Heads, Tails, 3rd Brake light, PM ME with your best offer. I will give yes or no response, no negotiating, you pay shipping - I just need to get rid of some of this stuff.

Last edited by BIG_WHITE_HYPE; 11-09-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 AM

In the pics after the 2" Level kit, it looks like it's still nose heavy, but really I am just on a small decline. The truck sits pretty level. I'll get some more good pics in daylight soon!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you've done a great job with you truck...Congrats.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 AM

Some pics

Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 AM

Just wanted to put up some better pics. Still not great ones. Planning to do a little photo shoot at a park with a decent camera soon. In the meantime, I'll post the pics I can't help but take every single time I park. haha

Here's whats new in the above pics:
Black Polished Pillar Covers
AVS Seamless Vent Visors
OEM Wheel Well Covers (was driving me crazy that I could see completely through under the bed)
I've also got my GoRhino Black Hitch Step on but you can't see it in these pics

Here's whats coming next:
Rigid SR-Q Diffused Backup lights
AMP Research Power Steps
UWS Black Diamond Plate Toolbox
Custom 4x4 Decals with my truck name "Diablo Blanco"
Front window tint

I am DYING to find a decent tonneau cover that works with a low profile UWS toolbox. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 AM

Here's a better shot of the AVS Seamless Vent Visors

Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 AM

Before and After Shots (Large)

Before

After
Old 11-15-2013, 02:11 AM

Side

Truck is white but image has some weird tint to it

Quick Reply: 2011 White Lariat Chrome Package Build (White/Black/Chrome)