Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Trans slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans slipping?

First let me explain I’m new here and have recently bought my first ford truck and I love it. But recently when I’m driving and push on the gas It takes a little bit to get up and then it jerks. I’ve tried it a few times to try to figure it out myself but I just can’t.... depending on how far down I push the gas I can see my RPMs rise a lot.... then after a second the truck jerks then gains speed. Looking on here a little bit before signing up I saw a few people with kind of the similar thing going on that came to the conclusion of a slipping strans.... anything else cause this? If it is that how can I fix it?

Thanks everyons.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

First things I would do would be remove the battery cables and touch them together. It will reset everything including the transmission shift points. Second thing I would do is check the fluid level and color.

How many miles on the truck? Year, motor, mods, etc? Take 5 mins and fill out your signature under the usercp tab (top left corner of the screen) with all your truck info and we wont ask for it in the future.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I filled it out when making the account I apologize I guess it hasent posted yet or I messed up I will look at it again. Just for now I have a 2012 Ford F-150 XLT V6 3.7L. 93,500 miles so far. No engine modifications yet just body.

I will have to try the battery cables when I get off I really hope it’s something simple like that or maybe just wiring. I can’t afford a whole rebuild lol.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 PM

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

You should have a sticker on the trans with a build date. See if you can find it. There were some TSB's for the trans back then. From solenoids, valve bodies, molded lead frames, PCM updates etc.

The TSB summary is here http://www.fordproblems.com/tsbs/F-150/2012/. Not sure if there are dates with these, but you can normally search the TSB number and find all the info.

If unplugging the battery doesn't help, you could take it to the dealer and have them update the PCM. Normally runs about $109. If it hasn't been done in a while, there is likely an update.

Last edited by FLXLT; 10-11-2017 at 08:28 PM.