Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Pulled the trigger on the superchips.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Pulled the trigger on the superchips.

I got tired of waiting for tunes, saw enough good reviews and ordered the Vivid Linq this weekend.

First impressions.

I loaded the 87 tune. It's faster, but I mainly got it for the mileage. If it gives +2mpg it will pay for itself in 4 months at current fuel prices and then it starts putting money in my pocket. Only time will tell what sort of economy this thing returns. Driving it across my property I can get up to 80 before hitting the property line, which is less than a quarter mile of dirt road.

It certainly lives up to it's noisy reputation. I've only made a few runs but on one of them I tried to drive it like I did before I had the tune. I aimed for the sweet spot, this caused the BOV (i guess) to start going crazy while the MAP bounced rapidly from 28-31 PSI. MAP at idle has been running 8ish Psi. It still went fast. I'm going to be putting some serious mileage on this thing in the near future. Current truck Average is 17.5mpg, average before the winter blend came out was 18.5mpg, so I'll consider highway mileage of 19 or higher now that we're back to summer blend to be gains.

IT WAS A PITA to get to work. First the computer wouldn't load the updates correctly to the module, then the bluetooth wouldn't connect. By the time I've called customer support I've tried the unplug-replug, restart phone, restart app, delete and re-load app, etc. What finally worked for me, the phone could not be connected to sync before trying to connect to the linq, so I had to connect while the truck was off. It took quite a while to download the upload and verify the stock tune, then half as long to install the 87 tune. I'd say about 30 minutes total operation.

My wife drove it and now she demands one for her truck as well (same truck)

I'd like to give some positive recognition to AJUSA for a great price and delivery 2 days before schedule.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 1,567 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by goodburbon
...MAP bounced rapidly from 28-31 PSI. MAP at idle has been running 8ish Psi. ...
I strongly suspect that those numbers are psia, meaning subtract 14.7 to put it in the more conventional psig format.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike
I strongly suspect that those numbers are psia, meaning subtract 14.7 to put it in the more conventional psig format.
Correct, pressure readings from the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor will be in Psia not Psig.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you get too excited about your new-found fuel economy, use the Advance tune feature to adjust to your correct final drive ratio...

Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by PowerCell
Before you get too excited about your new-found fuel economy, use the Advance tune feature to adjust to your correct final drive ratio...

Done. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats! I'm loving the tunes, it feels like I have a twin turbo truck now.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM

I just got off the phone with SC. I had a feeling that the Vivid Linq wouldn't be good to program more than one truck at a time, even if I paid the $100 for the unlock. I was right. If I pay the 100 to unlock the VL it will forget all about the first truck, and while I'm free to go and tune the second truck, I'd have to pay $100 again to unlock and go back to the first truck to make any changes. Rendering the VL virtually useless to owners of multiple vehicles. Unless you were to pay $100 each time you switched trucks.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 PM

My wife just drove to town. The speedometer was WAY off. The SC would not allow me to set the gear ratio to 3.73 without adjusting the tire size. So I had input a tire size of 32" and gear ratio of 3.73. Which is stock. With these settings the speedo read 10mph @60mph gps.

I just went out and re loaded the tune and it did the same thing for me. So I loaded the performance tune with the same gear settings and got the same result. I then loaded the "stock" gear ratio and "stock" tire size with the performance tune and everything is back to normal.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM
F150 Forum

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by goodburbon
I'd like to give some positive recognition to AJUSA for a great price and delivery 2 days before schedule.
Thank you! Anytime we have the option to speed up the delivery for our customers we do.

Great review, I am happy to hear your positive results with the Superchips tuner, those numbers are impressive and with the fuel savings it will eventually pay for itself!

We still are offering these at excellent prices for F150 forum members & have both units in stock. Use the code FOR10 to get your forum discount.

Vivid Linq 118680 (Android device required)

Flahpaq 1868 (Handheld Programmer)

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on the superchips.