Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Programmers/Tuners? Which is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Programmers/Tuners? Which is the best?

Bullydog?
JLP Dino?
DiabloSport?
Edge?

I have a 2011 SCrew with a 4" lift and 35" tires. Was wondering what the best tuner/programmer would be (if any at all) for a truck build like this.

Any help would be appreciated. Currently getting only 13.5 MPG. Just purchased an AirAid intake which I hope will help a little and now thinking about a programmer to get a little more. I figure any little help in MPG's is worth the cost in the long run but I don't wanna have any warranty issues down the road either.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Did you regear after you put 35's on it?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Your not getting 13.5mpg. Your speedometer is off because of the taller tires and therefore your truck doesn't think your traveling as far as you actually are. So it thinks your getting worse gas mileage then you are.

There isn't any "best" tuner. If you do a quick search there are several threads discussing the subject heavily. You just need to pick wether you want "canned" or "custom" tunes and then pick a tuner that can do what you want and you like.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by M&D
Did you regear after you put 35's on it?
Ahhh 4" Rancho so don't think it needed to be re-geared. My guess would be no.

Your not getting 13.5mpg. Your speedometer is off because of the taller tires and therefore your truck doesn't think your traveling as far as you actually are. So it thinks your getting worse gas mileage then you are.

There isn't any "best" tuner. If you do a quick search there are several threads discussing the subject heavily. You just need to pick wether you want "canned" or "custom" tunes and then pick a tuner that can do what you want and you like.
Should I get the speedometer calibrated?

So far as the tuner, I don't have a clue what I want except possibly a little better MPG's. Is that "canned" or "custom"? I know nothing about tuners so thats why I was asking.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

A tuner will let you adjust tire size and your mpg and mph will then be more accurate. You will get better mpg if you look for a custom economy tune for your truck.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoonSG
Ahhh 4" Rancho so don't think it needed to be re-geared. My guess would be no.

Should I get the speedometer calibrated?

So far as the tuner, I don't have a clue what I want except possibly a little better MPG's. Is that "canned" or "custom"? I know nothing about tuners so thats why I was asking.
Your guess? With 35's you should definitly regear. Your putting more strain on your driveline and your MPG is suffering.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 PM

How do ya re-gear?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob_Mac
A tuner will let you adjust tire size and your mpg and mph will then be more accurate. You will get better mpg if you look for a custom economy tune for your truck.
Get a bully dog for watching your gauges an reseting your tire sizes... But... Do not install the custom tune because it will void your warrenty when something breaks... An all the tunes suck anyways... What I've learned with my Ford screw eb is that it just doesn't like anything aftermarket...

Quick Reply: Programmers/Tuners? Which is the best?