Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Premium, mid-grade, or regular affect mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium, mid-grade, or regular affect mpg?

New to my f150 and was doing an experiment with putting in premium gas the last top up on my tank. The kms to E increased from 846kms to 935kms on a full tank this last time after putting around 30L of premium in.

Does this sound right? I'd love to hear others experiences and opinions on this.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

On flat terrain and easy on the throttle regular should get the best. Where higher octanes can help is when there is more load on the engine (towing, hills, heavy acceleration, etc) due to their better ability to resist knocking/pre-detonation.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles have you put on the truck and how long have you had it?

I know mine for the first few tanks would increase the miles to E as it learned my driving style.

It's hard to say if you'll see an increase in MPG. There's just too many factors. But you could possibly see an increase by changing. These trucks are tuned from Ford to use 87 for cost reasons, so u don't know if you'll actually see enough of an increase to justify the cost difference.

That being said, it makes a big difference the quality of gas you fill up with.... Name brand vs. cheap. With shell or Exxon I'll see about a 1 MPG increase over cheaper gas.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by canadafordgrrl
New to my f150 and was doing an experiment with putting in premium gas the last top up on my tank. The kms to E increased from 846kms to 935kms on a full tank this last time after putting around 30L of premium in.

Does this sound right? I'd love to hear others experiences and opinions on this.
Some gas stations sell premium fuel containing no ethanol (Shell in Ontario, for eg.).
If you are by chance using premium with no ethanol, you most certainly will see some mpg gains.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

OMG...really! Another fuel thread.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
OMG...really! Another fuel thread.
Hahaha! I think the same thing when I see EB in the title!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dion11196
How many miles have you put on the truck and how long have you had it?

I know mine for the first few tanks would increase the miles to E as it learned my driving style.

It's hard to say if you'll see an increase in MPG. There's just too many factors. But you could possibly see an increase by changing. These trucks are tuned from Ford to use 87 for cost reasons, so u don't know if you'll actually see enough of an increase to justify the cost difference.

That being said, it makes a big difference the quality of gas you fill up with.... Name brand vs. cheap. With shell or Exxon I'll see about a 1 MPG increase over cheaper gas.
I just started driving it a few weeks ago. It's 4 months old and my ex put 16K on it.
I'm out in the boonies so I don't have access to Shell. I have Esso and Co-op.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 AM

Yeah, if you're filling up at the same station.... You could reasonably see an increase using premium vs. regular. You'll just have to see if the increase in millage is worth the extra money for you. Most just stick with regular since they don't see a big enough difference to justify the added cost.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My best mileage in 10,000 miles has been achieved with 89 octane "NO ETHANOL" fuel. Same station has 92/no ethanol but truck likes the 89 best.

Quick Reply: Premium, mid-grade, or regular affect mpg?