Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Neutral at speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Neutral at speed

In my ending quest to get the best mileage possible, I've dropped the tranny into neutral a few times going downhill and noticed that the engine RPMs are hovering around 1500, I would have thought it would drop to idle rpms.
Wondering if dropping in neutral actually aids in trying to improve mpg or just leave it in gear.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 994 Posts

If you leave it in gear and get all the way off the gas, the engine goes into DFCO mode (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off). Basically, it turns the injectors off completely as long as it knows the transmission will keep the engine above running speeds. Cars have been doing this for at least 20 years.

Putting it in neutral forces the computer to keep the engine running on its own, thereby using more fuel.

In Europe, some of the small cars actually kill the engine completely when coasting or at a dead stop. We rented a Mercedes B Class (not available in the US) with a standard transmission. It would kill the motor every time you put the stick in neutral and let off the clutch, and automatically restart it as soon as you push in the clutch to put it in gear. And yes, I tested it to see if I was faster than it could react and I wasn't.

As for the idle speed, it's like the rev limiter. It has different settings based on a myriad of inputs. Put your truck in neutral and floor it. You'll find that the rev limiter is much lower than it is in gear. Same thing with the idle speed.

To maximize mileage, concentrate on coasting as much as possible and it'll net some gains.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Is not the 3.5gdi engine in fact a lean burn engine, where at off throttle there is more air and less fuel involved when coasting?
I have been doing some searching on this topic. As with my torque app i have noticed the afr readings pretty high when off throttle coasting.
Someone with some knowledge chime in
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Putting it in neutral forces the computer to keep the engine running on its own, thereby using more fuel.
Not necessarily, it depends on the situation. I put mine in neutral on downhills where it can maintain speed. If I leave it in gear, the engine drags the speed down and I have to stay in the throttle to maintain a safe speed.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by f150man3.5
Is not the 3.5gdi engine in fact a lean burn engine, where at off throttle there is more air and less fuel involved when coasting?
I have been doing some searching on this topic. As with my torque app i have noticed the afr readings pretty high when off throttle coasting.
Someone with some knowledge chime in
The dfco is causing those readings. The injectors are closed while coasting if certain parameters are met. See above. And I haven't seen any evidence the eb is a lean burn engine.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Not necessarily, it depends on the situation. I put mine in neutral on downhills where it can maintain speed. If I leave it in gear, the engine drags the speed down and I have to stay in the throttle to maintain a safe speed.
I don't think I understand what you're getting at here.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

I don't think I understand what you're getting at here.
I think he is talking about engine brake or when the transmission downshifts to slow you down as you are coasting down hill. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 01-28-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
I think he is talking about engine brake or when the transmission downshifts to slow you down as you are coasting down hill. I could be wrong though.
Nah I got that part.

- Coasting in neutral: injectors on and burning fuel.
- Coasting in gear: injectors off and not burning fuel.
- Coasting in gear but applying some throttle: injectors on and burning fuel.

Simple as that.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Mark

Received 2,421 Likes on 2,120 Posts

If you leave it in gear and get all the way off the gas, the engine goes into DFCO mode (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off). Basically, it turns the injectors off completely as long as it knows the transmission will keep the engine above running speeds. Cars have been doing this for at least 20 years.

In Europe, some of the small cars actually kill the engine completely when coasting or at a dead stop. We rented a Mercedes B Class (not available in the US) with a standard transmission. It would kill the motor every time you put the stick in neutral and let off the clutch, and automatically restart it as soon as you push in the clutch to put it in gear. And yes, I tested it to see if I was faster than it could react and I wasn't.

As for the idle speed, it's like the rev limiter. It has different settings based on a myriad of inputs. Put your truck in neutral and floor it. You'll find that the rev limiter is much lower than it is in gear. Same thing with the idle speed.

To maximize mileage, concentrate on coasting as much as possible and it'll net some gains.
Lol...if it turned the injectors off completely...would not the engine stall ??
no gas...no fire
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

So how much mileage are you trying to gain by going through this effort?
The following users liked this post:
cosway (01-28-2013)

Quick Reply: Neutral at speed