Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

I got it to do it at will!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Default I got it to do it at will!!

After being to my friendly West Michigan Ford dealer and told that if the tech can't replicate my complaint then I don't have one, I finally was able to get my EB to act up whenever I want!

My complaint was surging or whatever you want to call it when climbing a moderate grade around 45 mph. I can hear a pulsing compressed air sound from under the hood and when I hear this I can feel the truck surging with power, then subsiding each time I hear the noise.

I found that if i set the cruise control @ 45 mph and climb a moderate grade, the truck will perform the surging power act! Woo Hoo!

Now in the spring I can tow my TT to the dealer to demonstrate the powertrain shudder at takeoff then unhook the trailer and successfully demonstrate the surging.

My next hurdle is how to convince them that the leak at the bellhousing is tranny fluid not engine oil from the drain plug. Yes, I heard that trite, overused line just like many of you have too.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Regarding the towing shudder - it really doesn't matter that you can prove to them that it exists... they don't know how to fix it.

Been there, done that.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I have noticed on a hill I climb every day that the waste gate seems to be confused. As I climb the hill in 3rd gear the turbo spools up then the power falls off as I hear the gate dumping boost, then it closes and I have a surge, then it dumps the boost and so on. If I put my foot in it, then the truck will maintain boost and climb the hill no problem. But if I use moderate throttle I get the surging.

Is the waste gate computer controlled? If so then it it something that Ford needs to look into not only because it is annoying, but because it makes control of the truck at a moderate pace under a load difficult. It could even be dangerous especially in icey/snowy conditions.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Couldn't you just manually drop a gear to raise rpm so surging doesn't occur. Low rpm and turbos don't really go together. I'm sure ford could reprogram shift points whenever a certain amount of throttle is needed in a given gear.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
Couldn't you just manually drop a gear to raise rpm so surging doesn't occur. Low rpm and turbos don't really go together. I'm sure ford could reprogram shift points whenever a certain amount of throttle is needed in a given gear.
I guess so. I'm new to turbos and still trying to figure out how to make them work for me. I have noticed that there is a lot of gear hunting from 3rd as it goes in and out of lockup. I usually just hit the tow/haul switch and it does fine. I guess having so many tranny shift options makes it difficult to program for every situation. I wonder if the shift program takes incline into the data stream? BTW, I found that I am wrong about the waste gate. It seems that there is a pop off valve that makes noise as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:40 PM
2011 F150 XLT super crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The towing shutter is because of the smart trans it's normal I have friend that is a ford tech he said that's the way they were built I also work for a nation wide company that has nothing but ford trucks I had a rep from ford look into it he said the same
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave p
The towing shutter is because of the smart trans it's normal I have friend that is a ford tech he said that's the way they were built I also work for a nation wide company that has nothing but ford trucks I had a rep from ford look into it he said the same
Interesting. Many say that the issue is predominantly common on the supercrew long wheelbase 157" models with the 2 piece driveshaft. To me it feels like prop shaft windup or axle hop.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I've noticed the surgeing also and can make it do it anytime I want also. It's exactly as mcfarmall stated. I came to this site just because of this problem and was wondering if there were any fixes for it or just something a guy has to live with. I flat love this truck, it's hands down better than my last two trucks (2010 Silverado 1500 and 2006 Dodge Cummins) but the surge thing makes me a bit nuts.

Last edited by benelli; 12-12-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by benelli
I've noticed the surgeing also and can make it do it anytime I want also. It's exactly as mcfarmall stated. I came to this site just because of this problem and was wondering if there were any fixes for it or just something a guy has to live with. I flat love this truck, it's hands down better than my last two trucks (2010 Eldorado 1500 and 2006 Dodge Cummins) but the surge thing makes me a bit nuts.
Was not aware that cadilac even made a pick-up lol.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this surge problem also. mine also turbo dumps when shifting from 3rd to 4th sometimes. The turbo dumping during light acceleration mostly in 4th and 5th gear some times in 6th happen when the truck starts lugging down and i give it little throttle and the turbo starts to boost then dumps off and on. It only happens during light turbo boost and when the truck is starting to lugg. If the truck would shift down a gear instead of lugging this would not happen. My truck luggs down to far in my opinion. also the dump during shift is annoying to. only happens sometimes. if anyone has had this problem and had it fixed can you tell us what it is thanks.