Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

High frequency vibration 2013 3.7

Old 09-24-2013, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High frequency vibration 2013 3.7

I have a little over 1000 miles on my new F150. So far I am overall very pleased with the upgrade from my 1996 F150. On Sunday I was a couple of miles from my destination on a 20 mile trip and thought I could feel a vibration in the steering wheel and pedals. I figured I was just paranoid about my new baby and continued the couple more miles.

When I stopped I realized I could hear the vibration that was definitely not present the day before. I checked under the hood and when doing so could feel the whole bumper vibrating when leaning against it. Neither radiator fan was spinning, and my air conditioning and blower were off as well.

After a few minutes of looking around to see if I could see anything obvious (I know enough to get by) it stopped. I let the pickup sit for the duration of the Vikings game and went out to start it again, but have been unable to reproduce it since it first happened.

By high frequency I mean more of a cell phone vibration than a shake. Any suggestions on what I might check? Or should I just wait for it to happen again and not worry too much about it?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Can you tell where it might be coming from? Is is a metallic sound or just something you feel?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
Can you tell where it might be coming from? Is is a metallic sound or just something you feel?
I would describe it as a very very high powered cell phone vibrator. I wasn't able to get a dowel to listen anywhere specific before it stopped. Being as there are so few belt run accessories compared to the old days I was making an assumption it might be from the alternator (since the AC was off), but that is really nothing more than a guess.

One other thought I had from experience working with some electric motors was that it sounded like a stuck electric motor trying to start. However, neither radiator fan was hot so I dismissed that idea.

Thanks for your help. Sorry I was not able to obtain any more information before it stopped.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

What about the EPAS?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ford850
What about the EPAS?
I didn't notice any changes in steering assist and this is the first time I've heard it or felt it in the first 1k miles. That's an idea though. I will put some focus on that later today and see if I can get it to do it again. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:08 PM

It could also be a vacuum item. Does it sound like the loud hum when something is trying to engage/disengage? Like front hubs maybe?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilburb
I have a little over 1000 miles on my new F150. So far I am overall very pleased with the upgrade from my 1996 F150. On Sunday I was a couple of miles from my destination on a 20 mile trip and thought I could feel a vibration in the steering wheel and pedals. I figured I was just paranoid about my new baby and continued the couple more miles...
Wilburb,

If you experience this concern in the future, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley
Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ford850
It could also be a vacuum item. Does it sound like the loud hum when something is trying to engage/disengage? Like front hubs maybe?
Good news! I don't think it is engine related!

Bad news, you might be onto something with the engage/disengage. I was able to reproduce very briefly for a second or two at a time. (Unlike the several minutes I experienced the first time.) When I put it in park tonight I heard the noise. I then put it in drive and again felt/heard the noise. I was able to repeat several times before it ceased to occur on subsequent shifts.

So, it appears it happens when I go in and out of park and gear. Does that sound like something obvious/bad/normal/expected?

Thanks much. (Am I supposed to move this to a different section now that I'm journeying away from the engine?)
Old 09-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Your truck is so new, I'd let the dealer figure it out at this point. Now that you can recreate it, they should be able to get to the source easier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High frequency vibration 2013 3.7