Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Help diagnosing this turbo boost issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 01:48 AM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Help diagnosing this turbo boost issue?

I've had this issue for years and it still bugs the heck out of me when it happens....

Occasionally, and more frequently when cold or at high altitudes, my turbo boost seems to flutter. I know that “flutter” has some specific meaning in the turbo world, and I’m not sure if what I’m experiencing is technically flutter, but I'd sure like to figure out what is causing it and fix it.

100% stock drivetrain except for an SCT off-the-shelf tune, but the same thing happens (though less frequently) with the stock tune loaded.

Not all that frequent, but easy for me to to reproduce when I take the truck over a 12,000 foot mountain pass or on cold mornings. Higher engine rpms (forcing to stay in lower gears) seems to help avoid it as well.

Anyone know what is causing this and what I might do to fix it? Is this the turbo stalling? My blow-off-valves being commanded to open? Too much boost pressure for the blow off valves? (though it holds pressure at other times just fine)

2011 F150 Ecoboost 3.5L super crew FX4, owned since new, 70K miles.

Last edited by pfbz; 02-28-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:07 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Does it do it when stock?
Do you have the weep hole in the intercooler?
Does it do it on different tunes?
When was the last time your sparkplugs were changed? What gap?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Does it do it when stock?
the same thing happens (though less frequently) with the stock tune loaded.

Do you have the weep hole in the intercooler?
No

Does it do it on different tunes?
Yes

When was the last time your sparkplugs were changed? What gap?
Does it on fresh plugs properly gapped. Don't think it's spark blow-out.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I've had this issue for years and it still bugs the heck out of me when it happens....

Occasionally, and more frequently when cold or at high altitudes, my turbo boost seems to flutter. I know that “flutter” has some specific meaning in the turbo world, and I’m not sure if what I’m experiencing is technically flutter, but I'd sure like to figure out what is causing it and fix it.

100% stock drivetrain except for an SCT off-the-shelf tune, but the same thing happens (though less frequently) with the stock tune loaded.

Not all that frequent, but easy for me to to reproduce when I take the truck over a 12,000 foot mountain pass or on cold mornings. Higher engine rpms (forcing to stay in lower gears) seems to help avoid it as well.

Anyone know what is causing this and what I might do to fix it? Is this the turbo stalling? My blow-off-valves being commanded to open? Too much boost pressure for the blow off valves? (though it holds pressure at other times just fine)

2011 F150 Ecoboost 3.5L super crew FX4, owned since new, 70K miles.

https://youtu.be/60O5SLFD_3o

My guess would be a sticking wastegate
Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Drill the weep hole for one. What is "properly gapped"? Look at my sig line and see what mine are gapped at. It helped a lot with hesitation issues on my truck.

My truck would also have some intermittent turbo issues. Kind of a hesitation, kind of a turbo boost flux. Weirdest thing, I took it in for the vacuum pump TSB replacement and when I got it back, it didn't do it. I asked on here and no one could answer why but the truck runs a ton better after that fix.

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing this turbo boost issue?