Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Going in for Timing Chain rattle TSB 16-0027

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Going in for Timing Chain rattle TSB 16-0027

I have a 2013 XLT 4x4 with 40,000 miles.
I asked the guy scheduling my appointment and he was no help. I have a few questions:
1. Do they do this with the engine in the truck or do they remove it?
2. I assume they have to change the oil when they do this, I'm due for an oil change anyway. I guess they could leave the old filter on it if I did not specifically ask for an oil change. Is this a way to save $40?
3. Any experiences from others that have had this done? They want me to drop it off the night before so they can do a cold start the next morning and try to hear it.
4. I don't have a check engine light on but I'm pretty sure this is the problem. It sounds like someone winding a grandfather clock, pulling the chains on the weights up through the gears. Anyone else have this without the check engine light?

I've already had the intercooler and brake booster TSBs done.

Last edited by TexasEd; 08-09-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

1. No the engine stays in the truck. This is all performed on the front of the engine and top of the cylinder heads.

2. Engine oil could potentially stay in but I'm sure they will change it or it could be part of the process.

I am in a similar boat. I have a 2013 with 78,000 miles and mine has started to make the noise and by your description, you've got it too. Take video of it or have other proof of it if you can just in case it decides not to make the noise that day. Mine doesn't do it everyday.

Mine doesn't have a CEL either and the current TSB says nothing about any CEL. All they are "supposed" to need is verbal confirmation from you that it makes the noise. Unfortunately most dealers don't do that.

I will have to do this in the very near future and hope my experience is better than others. Best of luck to you!
Old 08-11-2017, 01:09 AM

I took it in yesterday and they are not done yet. They wanted it overnight so they could test a cold start. I found that it made the nose with 10 or more hours between starts.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 lariat ecoboost with 51,000 miles. I just picked my truck up from the dealer two days ago after having TSB 16-0027 done. To answer your questions...

1. The engine remained in the truck, but they did remove the entire cab to do this repair. They said it's the easiest way to do it.

2. According to my customer copy they replaced the oil and oil filter. I assume they have to drain these fluids to perform this repair.

3. My truck sat at the dealer for 3 consecutive days so the technicians could cold start and put an ear on the rattle I described to them. Of course my truck never made a sound. On the third day they requested I pick up the truck and try to capture the noise on video. I already had video of the noise and sent it to them immediately. Two hours later my parts were ordered and I was approved for a warranty repair. Some of my parts were on back order and were going to take a few days to come in so I picked up my truck and used it in the meantime. The morning after I picked my truck up from the dealer my truck rattled louder than ever before lol. In my experience, these trucks have to be ran a bit for it the make the rattle on cold starts. If it sits at the dealer all day everyday, it prolly wont ever make the noise.

4. My truck never threw a CEL throughout this entire saga. Other than the random rattle on cold starts my truck ran fine.

I'm glad to have my truck back and so far so good with how its running. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:09 AM

So I took my truck up there and they couldn't get the noise after 2 days. I paid for my oil change, got the engine diagnostic fee waived because all that consisted of was starting it in the morning, and took it home.

The next day I recorded the sound in my driveway and then in the same video showed my license plate to prove it was my truck. I had it in the next business day to get the repair.

So if you have this problem go in with the video ahead of time. Show the Vin or license plate to prove it is your truck and not a download from youtube.

Last edited by TexasEd; 08-17-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I took my truck to the lot and let it sit there for 3 days before they tried a cold start. Worked like a charm, they ordered parts the same day. Took 2 weeks for parts, it's in the shop today. Just talked to the tech, he's on it.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:23 PM

I got it back yesterday. It seems like I'm in the break-in process again. It feels more responsive, but it could be partially from driving the I4 eco in a Fusion or Escape most of the last week. I'm pretty sure it is more responsive than before. I guess they would have reset the computer for shift points, etc.

Overall I am happy but I'll wait and see when I have a chance to let it sit 10+ hours again.

Again, If you have this problem make a video of the sound at startup and then walk to show your VIN or License Plate. Use this to prove to the service depatment or you may waste more time going back and forth.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck has 108,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. Is this TSB for trucks that still have a warranty left on them? My truck rattles every morning upon startup.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 AM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by nogoeco13
My truck has 108,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. Is this TSB for trucks that still have a warranty left on them? My truck rattles every morning upon startup.
No this TSB is for any truck exhibiting the symptoms. Unfortunately it won't be covered though unless you have extended warranty, which is expensive. I've heard people say it costs between 3500-5000 depending on the dealer.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:10 PM

There are people who have done it themselves and posted it here or elsewhere. All the parts needed are listed in the TSB.