Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Dynoed my Ecoboost with Livernois 93 oct tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Dynoed my Ecoboost with Livernois 93 oct tune

Stock FX4 other then the Livernois 93 oct tune.

Name:  338fc3f1.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  251.7 KB

First pull was with the stock tune, 15 min cool down.
Peak 309 rwhp. Power laid down like a cheap ***** around 5000.

Second pull was with the 93 oct tune installed and about a 30 min cool down. Peak was 336 rwhp but held on much better. Pulled it to 6500. It gained 46 rwhp over the stock tune at around 5500 (we guessed at this rpm) and gained a solid 500 rpms up top where it gained about 60hp over where the stock rev limiter was at (around 6000 or so)

Third pull was with the 93 oct tune after about 45 mins cool down. Peak was 325 rwhp. It obviously did NOT like being cooled down that much... Maybe the fluids in the drivetrain or something hurt it. The intercooler was cool to the touch before the pull.

Here is a screen shot with the pinpoint showing the top end gains

Name:  996235b6.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  332.8 KB

Here is a rather boring video... I couldnt make it to the screen with the camera so....

All pulls were made in Manual mode and in 3rd gear. Traction control and advance track was OFF on all three pulls. Temp was between 81*-83* and humidity was 66%. But these were STD corrected pulls so the weather stuff/correction factor was already included in the displayed numbers.

Also keep in mind this is on heavy wheels/tires... 33"x12.50"s so this may have hurt the numbers some over all but.... I was mainly just comparing gains with the tuner.

One more thing to remember, this was just installing the tune in the truck while on the dyno. This was not giving the ECU any drive time to learn/adapt or anything like that. After the first time I tuned the truck, I noticed after 50 miles or so that it was noticeably stronger so.....I think with some miles on it, it will dyno a little better but.... this was the A-B comparison test. I was expecting a bit more PEAK hp with the tune but the top end/HP carry over with the tune is right on the money. Not to mention the improved shifting from no torque management and higher rpms... I can't wait to run it at the track. Last july it went 15.26@90 on the 33"s so I am hoping to break 14.50 at 93-95 mph if possible...

All in all I am quite happy with the Livernois tune and definitely recommend it.... Not to mention the customer service from Rick Leblanc at LMS is exceptional! Best $600 you will spend on your Ecoboost..
The following 3 users liked this post by ajrothm:
gimmie11s (07-11-2012), Rob1334 (07-12-2012), SICKQK (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you for sharing! Excellent post and comparison. This is the meat and potatoes people are looking for.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

This is a great post

a lot less then what I was expecting in regards to the 93 tune like you said but I agree my truck felt much better after 50 or so miles with the SCT tune. So i think there is some truth to what your saying about it taking a little bit to adapt

Overall THIS is the type of info the forum needs

Last edited by geno51; 07-11-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 994 Posts

Hmmm. . . I was on the fence between SCT and Livernois. Funny thing is that the SCT made a bigger gain than advertised when dyno'd by a consumer. Livernois is doing the opposite.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Shouldn't the pull have been done in 4th for a closer 1:1 ratio...and I think the numbers would have been a little higher.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike
Hmmm. . . I was on the fence between SCT and Livernois. Funny thing is that the SCT made a bigger gain than advertised when dyno'd by a consumer. Livernois is doing the opposite.
Yeah Peak to Peak gains for me were about 27hp....Pretty much 27hp gain from the very start of the pull until where the stock tuning started to nose over around 5000-5200 ish....thats when the big gains came....Mainly just giving back what the stock tune lost.

I didn't get to watch the boost gauge in the truck to make sure the boost jumped up as high as it normally does on the street with the 93 oct tune.....I asked the dyno operator what he saw and he said highest was 15-16 psi.... Well I know for a fact on the street it jumps to 19 psi in 3rd and slowly drops to 16-17 psi so...I have a feeling the turbos did not spool as well on the dyno as it does on the street...atleast with the higher boost levels of the LMS 93 oct tune.

I tried to keep everything apples to apples and as controlled as a I could.... Really, it is what it is. The gain upstairs is pretty significant.

One thing to take note of, my truck did not nose over near as bad as the Livernois truck did when they dynoed it with the stock tuning (theirs made 291 hp, peaked at 4500 and fell like a stone...., their BIG gains were after the stock tune gave up.)

I was sure hoping for 350rwhp but.... This is all she had. Also I was going to make a pull with the air box opened up and the air intake up in the air to see if there is any REAL gain to a CAI but ran out of time.

I may go back in a few weeks after I get some miles on the truck with the 93 oct tune and see if the dyno improves, also will test out the open air box theory.... I don't personally believe there is anything to be gained from a CAI but... Maybe we'll see...

Last edited by ajrothm; 07-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
Shouldn't the pull have been done in 4th for a closer 1:1 ratio...and I think the numbers would have been a little higher.
Thats what I thought as well but in talking to Rick at LMS, he said to dyno it in 3rd. Thats what they did so I wanted it apples to apples.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmm odd I had always heard 4th or actualy 5th because both of those are the same off of 1:1. Mine was done in 3rd only because of the speed limiter was still in place on the roush tune and to get close to redline I had to do 3rd.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM

One other thought that comes to mind is, I had Rick make some tweaks my tune for my speedometer calibration and his tuner had changed things several times.... Maybe there is a chance my 93 oct tune got conflicted some how... Maybe I'll get him to look at my 93 oct tune and make sure the main power producing tables are what they are supposed to be.

My numbers look very similar to the LMS 87 oct numbers so maybe I got the wrong file or something.... All I know is on the street, I see some pretty significant increases in boost and it HOLDS boost much better.... I see spikes of 19 psi and it holds 16-17 psi most of the time.... Lowest I have seen it drop was to 14.5 psi..... Stock tune had it dropping to about 9 psi in almost every gear.

The truck feels considerably stronger on the street, much more so then 27rwhp would indicate. My guess is the ECU needs some learn time with the new tune.

More importantly, we'll see when it does down the strip in the next month or so. The weather/DA is crap for racing but it will be identical to how I ran it last year.... Not to mention I know how to launch in 4 Hi at 10 psi boost as compared to 2-3 psi boost last year in 2 hi.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We're there any fans setup? A big issue with most dynos is the fact that there isn't adequate airflow to simulate real road conditions but 27hp difference seems low for a 93 octane tune but thank you for doing this it helps people see what real power difference from an independent source is

Quick Reply: Dynoed my Ecoboost with Livernois 93 oct tune