Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Coolant leak after shut down

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant leak after shut down

So I have a 2013 SCREW EB with 81k. I have noticed that after I shut my engine off… I occasionally have a puddle of coolant on the driveway. When I look under the vehicle… I can see who is coming down from underneath the engine. I can hear what sounds to be like a small suction coming from the coolant reservoir (hose closest to fender) But no leak in the engine compartment. Any ideas where this coolant leak could be coming from ... its Almost leaving my reservoir Dry
Old 09-09-2018, 12:38 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Check the elbow connection leaving the bottom of the coolant tank. Pegasus makes a kit to replace this crappy connector with an actual 90 degree piece of rubber hose.

Another common leak is at the turbo jiffy-tite fitting. There's just an o-ring in there that fails and they seep coolant.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Here is the Pegasus kit that should solve the issue.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-16-2018, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 f150 with the 5.0 and have a steady coolant leak. I have replaced the 3 o-rings in the T connector and in another coolant hose but still have a bad coolant leak. the leak is running down the end of the motor and dropping onto my sway bar. I have looked and still cannot find the source. Any suggestions???

UPDATE 05-16-19.....After pressure testing and the system holding pressure and noticing that coolant was dripping off the back of the block down onto the sway bar and front of transmission, I found the leak which was a coolant line on the passenger side of the engine block that feeds into the firewall for the heater core. Usually the leak comes from the connection at the firewall from one or both of these two hoses however mine was from the connector that attaches to a metal piece right next to the throttle body. Inside the connector I found two flattened o-rings and a plastic spacer that had broken into pieces. with a simple exchange of the two o-rings and the plastic spacer the leak has stopped.

Last edited by tennesseehillbilly; 05-25-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 09-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

My 2011 developed 3 leaks this year. First one was the connector to the coolant tank. Just bought the o ring from Ebay and was done in 10 minutes...was super easy. The second was at the Y connector. Again it was the O ring. I just replaced the hose. Then
the third started dripping. It was the block heater. Hidden up under the alternator. I took that one in. Just under 2 hours and parts. They went at it from the top removing the alternator. If you even have a block heater.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 AM
SoFlo5.0_4x4

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Damn, kind of makes me wish I didn't have a block heater now. At least I know to look out for it now though.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak after shut down