Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Octane and Fuel Selection

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM
F150 Forum

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Ecoboost Octane and Fuel Selection

Few different topics I want to cover here for the Ecoboost community. I don't have a lot of time to be active on the forums right now, so if you would please spread the word on any other boards you are a member of. Forgive me if I don't reply to questions or comments immediately, again time management is a struggle right now.

Octane Selection
I strongly recommend that you only run premium fuel on the Ecoboost platform. If you have 93 in your area, buy it. If you only have 91 in your area, buy that.

Fuel Selection
Winter blend fuel has been affecting everyone across the nation, and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. We've seen data logs that were 100% solid and then another fill up at a different station showing knock activity on the log. Based on that, choose your fill-up station wisely. It is a known fact that quality of fuel varies from station to station.

The owner's manual recommends 87, why should I run 91/93?
Let's put this in perspective by transferring the setup of our Ecoboost trucks to a Mustang. Alright, so now we have a twin turbo mustang pushing 15-20 psi of boost; making around 400hp to the wheels and around 475hp to the crank. After building this premium setup, would you ever run 87 octane? I can promise you that my personal vehicles of this caliber would never see a drop of low octane fuel. 87 octane combined with winter blend is more like 82 octane.

In the owners manual under octane it says quote:
"Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage." This is the same page it recommends 87 octane, then says: "Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow." Say what!?

Why the post?
I've seen reports of blown motors on completely stock trucks. I've spoken to Ford techs who have worked on Ecoboosts with thrown rods on completely stock trucks, usually running 87 octane and going to pass someone on the highway. The vehicle has very good knock sensors as well as very good wideband O2s to keep both airfuel and spark advance in check. When we create tunes for the Ecoboost, we double the range of the knock sensor increasing safety and longevity of the truck but there is only so much we can do to keep it safe. Low octane fuel just can't provide enough protection from detonation under extreme cylinder pressures. Regardless of how much timing the knock sensors remove.

How can you do your part to make sure your truck is safe?
Stop running low quality fuel, that is the number one thing to do. If you have a tune for 87 octane and run premium fuel in the tank then you should be good to go because you have the added protection. Premium is recommended on all trucks whether it's tuned, has bolt-on's or is completely stock.

If in doubt, data log the vehicle. (I'll make another post about what to log, so any questions on that topic don't post it here.)

If you are running an MPT tune, we offer free tune updates so before logging an old version simply ask us if there is a tune update available. We won't charge you more money to get our latest and greatest. BUT, if you buy new parts from another vendor you can't expect us to update your tune for those parts for free. There is labor and time involved on everything tune related, so if you are thinking of upgrades and have tunes from us, ask first to ensure your tune update will be free.

Hopefully that topic doesn't cloud the conversation and what is really important here. The important part of this post is octane, fuel selection and safety of the truck. Our MPT Ecoboost truck is pushing 600hp, has been beat on the dyno, on the street and at the drag strip. That should give you an idea of what the truck can support when properly handled.

Lastly, Driving Style:

If you need to accelerate, use the pedal allowing the vehicle to downshift and raise the rpms. Avoid accelerating at very low throttle with rpms at 1000-1500rpm and under boost. 6th gear is for cruising, 5th and 4th gear is a much better gear selection for acceleration. On that note, avoid locking the vehicle manually into 6th gear and accelerating.

"Lugging" an engine like this that can produce boost instantly will cause cylinder pressures to increase rapidly. When the piston can't accelerate in the cylinder bore because engine RPM is too low and gear selection is too high, the pressure causes side-loading of the piston/rod assembly. This combined with the lack of octane and increased heat in the combustion chamber is the perfect recipe for detonation. Detonation and side loaded pistons/rods is what leads to spinning rod bearings and/or breaking rods.

The bottom line here is that these motors are very capable of some incredible power and can be enjoyed to the fullest.

It is our responsibility as the owner of the truck and driver to make sure we do our part to keep the vehicle safe. Routine maintenance, checkups etc. Be smart and remember this is a twin turbo vehicle making a lot of power, octane and fuel selection is very important on this level.
The following 17 users liked this post by MorePowerTuning:
04black150 (03-22-2014), Blown F-150 (11-23-2018), brucesears (03-13-2014), captainnemojr (03-21-2014), EcoPowerParts (03-13-2014), Franchi Motorsports (03-13-2014), Israel Moore (03-14-2014), Joewee3.5 (03-13-2014), Kenferg1 (03-17-2014), Lizardking419 (03-13-2014), mechanicboy (03-18-2014), mrpositraction (03-13-2014), SkiSmuggs (03-13-2014), T Blackford (03-15-2014), Theocoog (03-13-2014), Tothemax (03-13-2014), wasinger3000 (03-13-2014) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

This is an excellent post. It all makes sense to me although I am not nearly as educated in this as others. Perhaps there are points to debate, but from what I know, there is effective information to latch onto as I drive my tuned truck.

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

I agree. Good advice overall. Though I have to say I find my kr varies very little between 87 & 89 octane gas. +-1° either fuel. I think 1.8 is the most I've seen, and that was on 89 octane.

Haven logged towing yet though
Old 03-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

I understand the octane part. I run 93+ at all times. The lugging and low rpm driving is news to me. Many times I've given a bit if throttle in 6th and the truck didn't downshift. Apparently this was unsafe for me to do. You guys are doing great things. Great advice and congrats on the track times.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I've read several posts of this type and most just talk about the performance of premium over regular. I always use premium to tow, but this argument is compelling in favor of full time premium. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually run 87 octane, but back in early October I ran 3-4 tanks of 92 octane on my standard 700 mile round trip across the state and saw between 1-1.5 mpg decrease in fuel economy over those tanks. Mostly flat terrain, cruise control, running about 68 mph. I switched back to 87 octane, but I'm wondering if my spark plug gaps are to blame since my fuel economy wasn't stellar to begin with. I have a set of SP-534 plugs in the garage ready to go in, just haven't had the time.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM

Received 231 Likes on 164 Posts

This is a awesome post especially since I'm thinking about tuning again. Lots of good information.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Great write up. I only run 93 octane. I spend so much money on mods and tuning how could anyone argue saving $10 on a fill up?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice write up, Also I might start adding octane booster to my 93 just incase whats 3 or 4 more bucks a fill up when your spending 100. And for guys who still run 87 wawa gas is ****, lol especially in this area up north. I always buy my 93 from Valero
Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how do you guys feel about running the MPT 93 Performance tune on 93 in the winter? or should I go switch mine out to the 91 and just keep putting 93 in the tank?

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Octane and Fuel Selection