Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Bleeding Boost Under Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bleeding Boost Under Acceleration

I have a 2013 ecoboost tune by 5 Star running the 89 perf/tow. When accelerating I've noticed a constant "whooshing" sound which leads me to believe my wastegate is opening when its not supposed to. I've done some research and it seems like guys have found that it can be result of a tear in the diaphragm of the wastegate, could this be result of higher boost made from the tune? Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket wastegates? I dont want to take the gamble on a new stock piece if it may tear again.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm running the same tune, haven't had any problems. The stock engine puts out 16 to 18 pounds of boost. The highest boost I've seen with the tune is 20, not that much of a difference, not enough to rupture a boot.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:35 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by TRiGGeR605
I have a 2013 ecoboost tune by 5 Star running the 89 perf/tow. When accelerating I've noticed a constant "whooshing" sound which leads me to believe my wastegate is opening when its not supposed to. I've done some research and it seems like guys have found that it can be result of a tear in the diaphragm of the wastegate, could this be result of higher boost made from the tune? Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket wastegates? I dont want to take the gamble on a new stock piece if it may tear again.
It's not in the wastegate it's in the BOV (blow off valve) which is on the bottom drivers side on intercooler.
I seriously no joke have heard/seen 5 different people with 2013's in the past 2 months that have had torn a bov diaphragm, myself included.
I really think there must have been a crappy batch of rubber or something during that year of manufacturing.
It's pretty easy to remove to inspect and see if it is torn, there's three screws you have to remove. You can also do the VTA mod and if the air sound gets really loud and is constant when applying the throttle it is most likely torn. The part is right around $100 at the dealership

You can see the tear in the 12 o'clock position in this picture

And here is the part number if yours does end up being torn: