Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5 Star tuner vs Mpt tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5 Star tuner vs Mpt tuner

Thinking of buying a tuner for my 2012 Ecoboost, which tune is the best one of the 2. Both use the sct tuner which I like just looking for some advice before I pull the trigger. TIA
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the actual tuners are the same (both use SCT), and you can use tunes from anyone else that writes for the SCT. Someone correct me if that is wrong.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah thats correct, with the sct you can put tunes on it from any tuner of your choice. Highly recommend unleashed tuning!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TBrown7300
Thinking of buying a tuner for my 2012 Ecoboost, which tune is the best one of the 2. Both use the sct tuner which I like just looking for some advice before I pull the trigger. TIA
I am in the same postion you are. I have read good things about both you cant go wrong either way. I am thinking of maybe getting my tuner from MPT since you get the 3 custom tunes pretty much for free. Then I will just buy one of the 5 star tunes.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realized how I worded that after I posted . Good idea Spadey.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

Why decide, get both. You can have a tune from MPT and a tune from 5 Star on your SCT device. I have 3 5* tunes and just purchased a performance tune from MPT last week. I have had it in for 30 min(I think) before I switched back to my 5*. The reason I say I think I loaded it is because I installed the tune where the 5* economy tune was on the device. I went out for a test drive and my truck did not feel anything like what reviews in the MPT threads. The truck felt like my work 3.55 5.0L in that I had to give it a lot of gas before it actually went anywhere and I was in the vacuum in rpms that I am usually in the boost although it was still fairly quick at WOT. I think I loaded the 5* economy tune by accident because it felt like everything others that drove the 5* econo said it would be. I will probably retry it this Sunday to know for sure.

Edit: Although on a side note, 5* sales it's tunes for $105 for 1 or $160 for 2. MPT sales their tunes for $75 for 1 and $50 for 3. It might be more cost effective to get the device from 5* with the three custom tunes included and the get one other custom tune from MPT.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 08-22-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
Why decide, get both. You can have a tune from MPT and a tune from 5 Star on your SCT device. I have 3 5* tunes and just purchased a performance tune from MPT last week. I have had it in for 30 min(I think) before I switched back to my 5*. The reason I say I think I loaded it is because I installed the tune where the 5* economy tune was on the device. I went out for a test drive and my truck did not feel anything like what reviews in the MPT threads. The truck felt like my work 3.55 5.0L in that I had to give it a lot of gas before it actually went anywhere and I was in the vacuum in rpms that I am usually in the boost although it was still fairly quick at WOT. I think I loaded the 5* economy tune by accident because it felt like everything others said it would be. I will probably retry it this Sunday to know for sure.
When switching back and forth between tunes do you still have to drive a few hundred miles for the tune to take full affect? And what tune from MPT did you go with?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Spadey
When switching back and forth between tunes do you still have to drive a few hundred miles for the tune to take full affect? And what tune from MPT did you go with?
No, but the shifting will adapt to you as you drive. You drive like grandma and it will soften up....just like stock. A couple hard runs and it will firm back up...goes back and forth by how you have been driving. This is adaptive learning, built into the factory computer.
The following users liked this post:
Spadey (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

I went with the 93 performance with the street shifting. Even though it does take a while for the tranny to learn shifting, it should not have been that bad with no power below 2500rpms. I am not sure if I am just used to the massive amount of low end power feel with the 5* or what, but I will be asking for a refund if that actually was there performance tune. I don't think it was like I said before, but I will find out for sure Sunday.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
I went with the 93 performance with the street shifting. Even though it does take a while for the tranny to learn shifting, it should not have been that bad with no power below 2500rpms. I am not sure if I am just used to the massive amount of low end power feel with the 5* or what, but I will be asking for a refund if that actually was there performance tune. I don't think it was like I said before, but I will find out for sure Sunday.
Cool, I will prolly hold off on ordering for bit then. I have waited this long whats a few more days. thx.

Quick Reply: 5 Star tuner vs Mpt tuner