Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Best beginning 5.0 mods and questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Best beginning 5.0 mods and questions

hey guys, didnt really see any threads about basic 5.0 mods. I’m assuming the typical CAI, catback, headers and tune.

I have a 2012 5.0. Are there any intakes, exhausts or tuners that are safe but highly recommended? I don’t want to get into the trans by running “too hot” of a tune. Just looking to unleash the 5.0 a smidge as I previously had a tuned GM 6.2 that was an animal!

Also, does anyone have experience with the roush exhaust? Just want to make sure it’s not overbearing or droney.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Jonah52; 10-03-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Arrow

Reader's Digest edition ...

CAI - Already CAI. *no performance or MPG gain.
exhaust - Already straight-thru, free-flowing. *no performance or MPG gain.
Regarding ROUSH ... several threads regarding harsh, LOUD, and drone - >search<

headers - unless you go long-tube + tune, little performance gain.

Invest the $$$$$ in tuner and tune(s).

Consider rear sway bar. *recommend Hellwig.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe

exactly what I was looking for. Are ghost cam tunes generally liked or frowned upon? (Like diesel lope tunes). I didn’t even know this was a thing... any reccomendations for nice idle and open sound when on the skinny pedal, but quiet at cruising? I’m considering hacking out my muffler and resonator and installing some pipe and a straight flow magnaflow..
Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

5 Star and MPT custom tunes coupled with a sct x4 tuner are the most common. 5 Star is a little more tamed and a little more designed for towing. MPT is a little more aggressive and a little less towing oriented. Both have tunes for towing and not towing but I choose 5 star because I tow often. If I didn't I would have choosen MPT's non-towing tunes as they are a little more aggressive.

https://5startuning.com/got-a-2011up-f150-5-0l-3/

https://www.morepowertuning.com/f150-50-tune

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 07-25-2018 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
montanaman (08-16-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe

So.. it's ok to go straight to a tune? I thought it had to be in this order, or something like it.
Cat back exhaust
CAI
Throttle body
Tune
I've been wanting to tune but have been holding off on it until my truck is "ready".. if igo straight to a tune and add exhaust,ETC later.. That's OK? I had thought they custom tune to incorporate mods. If I add exhaust..etc.. later. How will that affect the tune?
Old 08-15-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by RiffRaff00
So.. it's ok to go straight to a tune? I thought it had to be in this order, or something like it.
Cat back exhaust
CAI
Throttle body
Tune
I've been wanting to tune but have been holding off on it until my truck is "ready".. if igo straight to a tune and add exhaust,ETC later.. That's OK? I had thought they custom tune to incorporate mods. If I add exhaust..etc.. later. How will that affect the tune?
It will slightly impact the tune, but most of those things aren't going to make much difference in an otherwise stock truck. Ford over designed every one of those items to allow for more horsepower than stock and/or tuning unless you go well beyond (Supercharger, replacing internal engine parts, etc).

Also, I know 5 star will provide tunes for life if you purchase tuner and additional items directly from them (or same thing with stage3motorsports and 5 star). I believe it is the same thing with MPT.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 AM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

The tune is the best bang for your buck.

Better throttle response, better tow/haul strategy if you tow, a little more power, not like a almost-400 hp engine is a wimp��

And it’s fun to blow those highway hot-dogs into the weeds as they hit their speed limiter and you don’t have one.

Plus, if you have changed tire sizes you can fix the speedo with the tune.

I have a lot of miles on my 5STAR tune - I should maybe contact him and see if he has improved it for the ‘11
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Bronco II Nut

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

'12, 5.0, 2wd here. made my own "cat back" because i like to hear my motors (no performance gains). then i added a programmer with transmission only tunes (i run 87 octane). no other "performance" mods. the 5.0 has enough power for me (for now, haha), i just wanted to get it to the ground better. using a refurbished sct x3 because it was cheaper and i dont really need the screen on the dash. eventually, i want to replace the 3.31 gears with 4.10 for better towing and "stoplight to stoplight" performance.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Get your hands on a tuning device like a SCT x4 over on stage3performance -- and like other users have said -- go with either MPT of 5 star. Don't waste your time with economy tunes.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about your transmission -- guys with blowers pushing 550HP+ don't have issues with theirs. The transmissions on these trucks is not a weak point.

Hope you get a tuner soon! It will really wake your truck up!

Quick Reply: Best beginning 5.0 mods and questions