Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spal fan controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spal fan controller

Anybody installed the Spal fan controller on a 2006-2007-2008 truck. It has a connection that is supposed to connect to the temp sending unit, but we don't have one on the newer trucks, it's all contained in the PCM as I understand it. Would appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Not familiar with your year truck but I know one thing, it has a coolant temperature sending unit. There is no way for the computer to know how hot the engine is without one.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get to sending unit

Talked with a Ford engineer and the sending unit for my truck is under the intake manifold so needless to say had to find an alternative. He recommended putting a temp sending unit in the upper radiator hose and using it to trigger the Spal unit. After looking around found that Flex-a-lite makes such a fitting. Installed it, along with a sending unit from a 95 chev truck, and hooked it to the Spal controller and all is well. Really like the Spal unit, delays turning the fan on for 5 seconds after startup, then ramps up the fan speed starting at 50%. Also allows for a second fan that is either on or off depending on the temp. Also has a/c switch that turn on unit when you engage a/c. Unit seems well constructed and has an 18month warranty. Tech support was also very helpful in answer a couple of questions that I had. I am using 1 16" 3600 cfm fan and will run for awhile and see if that will handle or if I need to add another smaller fan. So far, in a couple of days of driving 1 fan seems to be doing the job. All in all a good unit and truck seems to have more power. Hopefully will translate to an improvement in gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Spal fan controller