Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recent Muffler and Resonator swap experience 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 01:24 PM

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts
Default recent Muffler and Resonator swap experience 5.0L

Long time lurker here. I wanted to share my recent Muffler and resonator swap experience in case it can help someone else out. I have a 2015 F150 5.0L SuperCrew . I had swapped out the factory muffler a few months ago with a Borla ProXS (40359). This gave the truck some attitude without being too obnoxious or annoying on the interstate. I guess i got bored with it and decided it wanted to try removing the resonator and replacing with a straight pipe. I had local muffler shop, cut it out and weld it up. Id estimate that removing the factory resonator made the truck ~ 15% louder. It also had more rasp and "throat" to the exhaust note . Inside the cab it was noticeably louder and there were certain RPMS that it produced a pretty good amount of drone and resonance through the cab. While in general i liked the extra noise, I could tell that it was going to be annoying long term and headache inducing on any long trip cruising along at 75 mph. At this point what I new that I wanted was something that fell in between the factory resonator and no resonator at all. I did a little research and determines that I would try adding back in an aftermarket resonator. I started small as I didnt know what to expect and I first put in a Vibrant 12inch bullet style (Model 1792). I did this in my driveway with a hacksaw and some clamps. The 12inch Vibrant cut the drone and rasp down a bit, but it still had the annoying resonance ~ 1800 rpm. Since it was close in overall length the next thing that I tried was a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator (model 1141) . Dimensionally this was smaller than the factory resonator and I have to say that it did its job well, a little too well. All of the rasp and all of the drone was completely gone. I think that out on the road it was actually quieter than the factory resonator. This would be a good option if you wanted to tame everything down nearly the same as the factory resonator. At this point Id gone to all this trouble and was back to where I started with a lighter wallet. I had give it one more shot. I ordered a Vibrant 18inch bottle style (model 1793). This ended up being the "Goldilocks " middle ground that I was looking for. Nice deep rumble, minimal drone at the rpms that matter. Luckily i was swap these out in my drive failry quickly and I was able to return all the parts i didn't need to keep. I posted some videos of a few cold starts on youtube if curious (i didnt record the 12inch 1792 setup)

links for the videos:

Vibrant 12 inch resonator - 1792 a little too loud

Vibrant Ultra Quite resonator - 1141 a little too quiet

Vibrant 18 inch resonator - 1793 Just right
The following 2 users liked this post by joesim76:
Ecks (02-25-2020), fourclowns (11-30-2023)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:20 AM

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

I've been meaning to do just a muffler swap too, but didn't want anything too loud or too quiet. But my only reference is youtube, lol. I was looking at the pro XS as well, but it sounded too quiet in the videos I was watching. Then i started looking at magnaflow videos and a lot of people seem to like the magnaflow 4" round 14" long muffler. Seemed too loud for me, so I ended up ordering their 6" round 18" long muffler. I'll have to wait for it to arrive, but I plan on keeping the oem resonator. Hopefully that will keep it from droning.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:46 PM

huanab

I would be interested to know how that turns out for you. I don’t have any personal experience with magna flow but also have heard a lot of good things. I had a hard time finding a lot of Borla videos online. If it ends up being too loud you can always add in an aftermarket resonator between your factory resonator your new muffler.

Last edited by joesim76; 02-24-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:05 PM

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Finally got done with installing it. It's the magnaflow 12649 (6" round, 18" long) muffler. Left OEM resonator on. Sounds perfect to me, nice purr without being too loud or annoying.
The following users liked this post:
Ecks (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by huanab
Finally got done with installing it. It's the magnaflow 12649 (6" round, 18" long) muffler. Left OEM resonator on. Sounds perfect to me, nice purr without being too loud or annoying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVzRZz3VNM
sounds pretty good!
Old 03-08-2020, 12:40 PM
Abigail & Hannah’s dad

Received 1,255 Likes on 728 Posts

Thanks to both of you guys, I’m looking at doing something similar. Your posts have been helpful!

OP, did you ever do a video of just the Borla with factory resonator? This is the direction I’d like to go.

Last edited by 1995GreenMachine; 03-08-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1995GreenMachine
Thanks to both of you guys, I’m looking at doing something similar. Your posts have been helpful!

OP, did you ever do a video of just the Borla with factory resonator? This is the direction I’d like to go.
Here is a link of my 2015 truck with just the Borla proxs Muffler swapped in and the factory resonator still in place.

Also, my buddy did the same thing with his 2020 5.0l and this is a short clip he sent me from the install of the borla muffler.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Abigail & Hannah’s dad

Received 1,255 Likes on 728 Posts

Awesome, thank you!
Old 11-30-2023, 12:28 PM
Qksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joesim76
Long time lurker here. I wanted to share my recent Muffler and resonator swap experience in case it can help someone else out. I have a 2015 F150 5.0L SuperCrew . I had swapped out the factory muffler a few months ago with a Borla ProXS (40359). This gave the truck some attitude without being too obnoxious or annoying on the interstate. I guess i got bored with it and decided it wanted to try removing the resonator and replacing with a straight pipe. I had local muffler shop, cut it out and weld it up. Id estimate that removing the factory resonator made the truck ~ 15% louder. It also had more rasp and "throat" to the exhaust note . Inside the cab it was noticeably louder and there were certain RPMS that it produced a pretty good amount of drone and resonance through the cab. While in general i liked the extra noise, I could tell that it was going to be annoying long term and headache inducing on any long trip cruising along at 75 mph. At this point what I new that I wanted was something that fell in between the factory resonator and no resonator at all. I did a little research and determines that I would try adding back in an aftermarket resonator. I started small as I didnt know what to expect and I first put in a Vibrant 12inch bullet style (Model 1792). I did this in my driveway with a hacksaw and some clamps. The 12inch Vibrant cut the drone and rasp down a bit, but it still had the annoying resonance ~ 1800 rpm. Since it was close in overall length the next thing that I tried was a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator (model 1141) . Dimensionally this was smaller than the factory resonator and I have to say that it did its job well, a little too well. All of the rasp and all of the drone was completely gone. I think that out on the road it was actually quieter than the factory resonator. This would be a good option if you wanted to tame everything down nearly the same as the factory resonator. At this point Id gone to all this trouble and was back to where I started with a lighter wallet. I had give it one more shot. I ordered a Vibrant 18inch bottle style (model 1793). This ended up being the "Goldilocks " middle ground that I was looking for. Nice deep rumble, minimal drone at the rpms that matter. Luckily i was swap these out in my drive failry quickly and I was able to return all the parts i didn't need to keep. I posted some videos of a few cold starts on youtube if curious (i didnt record the 12inch 1792 setup)

links for the videos:

Vibrant 12 inch resonator - 1792 a little too loud

Vibrant Ultra Quite resonator - 1141 a little too quiet

Vibrant 18 inch resonator - 1793 Just right
Which of these four (is it number 2, second one down) that is the Borla PRO-XS with Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator? Also, You said that with Vibrant UQ you felt it was quieter than with the OEM resonator, but do you remember if the Vibrant had less or more Drone? That is about the tone and degreee of loudness I would like, nothing more, wondering if I should just do Borla #40359 with the Vibrant UQR (whihc was my fist choice looking into this), or just do it with the Factory Resonator.
Thanks
Old 11-30-2023, 12:59 PM
Qksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know what the correct Part number is for the 14th GEN F150? Is it 1142 or is it 1141. I thought it would be 1142, but above @joesim76 said he used 1141, but I believe he is running the 13th GEN 2018 F150.

Quick Reply: recent Muffler and Resonator swap experience 5.0L