Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler delete?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler delete?

I'm thinking about cutting my muffler off and putting straight pipe in its place, but I'm worried about power loss. I'm leaving the cats on, just taking the muffler off. Should it be OK?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just remember the old tools. Removal of the muffler on a hotrod made more power. Yes, you gain more horsepower but you loose torque. Since the hotrod is of a lower weight and other factors such as the aerodynamics, it works. For a truck, which is much heavier and has the wind resistance of a brick, you need torque to get you moving and accelerating the large body. The next thing is when you gain torque, you lose horsepower, and when you lose horsepower you tend to gain torque. Think of motorcycles. You have V-Twins and you have inline 4's. The sportbike will scream and will get to amazing upper speeds. But the Harley, having all of that weight needs torque to move. V-Twins produce gobs of torque. So look at it like a diesel and an unleaded. The F150 will take off where as a diesel won't as fast but will be able to rip a house off its foundation with its low idling and raw torque.

Sound.

Yes, you will make more noise sounding aggressive, but at the same time no muffler means no back pressure. Back pressure creates torque. Yes, you will gain horsepower but your fuel economy will be destroyed bc you now lack torque to get you off the line. So the truck in turn will have to work harder to get you up to speed.

My opinion, go magnaflow. You still retain backpressure for your torque but will also allow it to breath. Again, if you are blowing out then you also need the intake to compensate the extra difference to be well rounded.

My suggestion is go magnaflow. Flowmaster sounds good too but you'll gain great sound but less backpressure so you'll lose a bit of torque but is still no absolute free flowing. The chambers will create this.

Hpoe this helps. Do not cut the muffler off and not replace it as you need it. If the logic were to be true without, why do every mfg of sports cars and diesel trucks still have mufflers? Its not just due to sound deprivation. They actually serve a purpose.

Hope this helps.

Cheapest route? Go flowmaster (sounds great on V8 Fords) or Magnaflow (actually increases torque and horses). You can do a glass pack but it all comes down to what you want and why.
The following users liked this post:
Magna_Flow (05-10-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

You may loose some low end power but you will not be able to notice it at all. You may only loose 1 or 2 ft-lb on the low end under 2500 rpm, but will probably gain a few on the top end. Ford modular engines respond well to a few things, free flowing intakes, exhaust, and boost. If you want it to be loud go with a straight pipe or a small muffler like a dynomax mini bullet or 6in race magnaflow.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:27 PM
F150 Forum

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi Blue, our 14" mufflers like #11219 (and the other variations of this size) have been a popular choice for F150 owners wanting an aggressive tone, but with out the loss of tone and cabin drone that usually comes from doing a muffler delete. If we offer any more insight, please feel free to PM or call us at 1-800-990-0905!
The following 2 users liked this post by Magna_Flow:
LLB (05-29-2017), Tfast150 (05-25-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by randyman02-13
You may loose some low end power but you will not be able to notice it at all. You may only loose 1 or 2 ft-lb on the low end under 2500 rpm, but will probably gain a few on the top end. Ford modular engines respond well to a few things, free flowing intakes, exhaust, and boost. If you want it to be loud go with a straight pipe or a small muffler like a dynomax mini bullet or 6in race magnaflow.
bro, I replaced the muffler on a V8 ford truck I had as well as a Chevy and the loss of low end torque needed to make the large body get rolling. You don't "feel" it but it's most definitely a loss and my gasoline suffered tremendously. For people who pay nothing for gas, you won't notice. But when you pay California $3.75 for regular a gallon and see that you're filling up more often it's sucks.

Thats why anything i get, if it's for a large SUV or a truck, I want something that retains the proper amount of back pressure. The hell with top end HP to me as I'm never flooring my truck like a sports car. 90% of what I'm doing is stuck in traffic and stoplights.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

Any truck that's making 300hp on 330cid through a stock muffler... well... that muffler isn't corking things up at all.

Shouldn't lose any torque going with a straight pipe, WILL gain a LOT of noise.
While you're at it, if that's the 5.4 with the 'squished' section of pipe ahead of the muffler... well... remove that STAT.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Magna_Flow
Hi Blue, our 14" mufflers like #11219 (and the other variations of this size) have been a popular choice for F150 owners wanting an aggressive tone, but with out the loss of tone and cabin drone that usually comes from doing a muffler delete. If we offer any more insight, please feel free to PM or call us at 1-800-990-0905!
I am unable to find any sound clips on a 15+ f150 I don`t suppose you have any
Old 05-30-2017, 07:23 PM
F150 Forum

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tfast150
I am unable to find any sound clips on a 15+ f150 I don`t suppose you have any
We typically don't do sound clips for our universal mufflers, but you can find a handful of user-made videos on YouTube. Here's a few we were able to dig up: