Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help please need advice

I was wondering for all of you guys with lifted trucks, if can give me some advice. This picture is my truck. It has a leveling kit on it. I don't know how many inches it is. I want to get it leveled completely and lifted, but i don't want it outrageous like 6". I just want some advice on if i should get a bigger leveling kit and what kind of suspension lift kit I should get. I don't how the lift kits are, if the back is different measurement from the front. It'll be nice to see some pics of some of everybody else's trucks too.
Attached Thumbnails Help please need advice-photo.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My $0.02 worth...

Leave the lift kit idea to the people building monster trucks, not street rides! Ok, it's more like a $1.00 worth of help.

Seriously though, having been a certified NAISE Automatic Transmission mechanic over 30 years ago, I would caution you about lifting your truck...here's why:

Driveshaft u-joints are designed to operate at a maximum 3 degrees, when you raise your vehicles frame in relation to the suspension...you can increase this angle far beyond the maximum of 6 degrees that the u-joint can tolerate before binding and breaking.

I am certain other mechanics in other disciplines ie: suspension/chassis, brake systems, also have limits and tolerances in those systems which should be followed as well.

Oh, and yes NAISE was "National Automotive Institute for Service Excellence" when it first started...now it's just ASE = "Automotive Service Excellence". GOOD luck and be carefull !

Quick Reply: Help please need advice