Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone diagnose this???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone diagnose this???

Well, I will try and keep this as short as possible. 1st. My truck is a 2010 F-150 XLT Screw with the 5.4l engine. Roughly 2 months ago I purchased an Injen powerflow CAI, AIRAID throttle body spacer, MBRP stainless cat back system and a Hypertech Max energy programmer. After installing everything except the programmer, I started driving the truck and noticed that my fuel millage was terrible(I wasn't driving it hard). I figured this could have just been because I had the battery unhooked and the computer had to "relearn" the fuel trims. So after driving the truck for a couple days I installed the programmer and was not happy with it at all, and within another couple of days I returned the truck to the stock tune. It has been about a month and a half now and I still have all of the other Mods installed except for the programmer and my fuel Millage is still not great(23L/100km). Just yesterday I read online that while the truck is in the "relearning" process, it has to be above 5 degrees Celsius outside(it was about -25 degrees Celsius when I did it). My question is, would that have any affect on how the truck "re-tought" itself? I would let it warm up for 10-15 mins before driving????? Or is there another explanation??? Please explain, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't rely on the truck's calculation of average mpg. Its way off (at least for me it was). You have to drive the truck for a while to notice an improvement at the pump and not rely on the trucks calculation imo.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

It's possible there were too many mods at once. I dunno...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Throttle body spacers are worthless
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Wyo11scab, I don't know if you even read the thread, or all you was throttle body spacer, but your input was better left out.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 AM

A cold air intake is designed to allow more air into the combustion chamber and if it is cold you will run very rich. On stock equipment it will run rich until it the engine warms up and gets to operating temp. Now you have a CAI and are allowing a lot more air in. The PCM compensates more fuel to the air to allow the vehicle to operate in the trim levels. The vehicle will not reset until you have been through 2 consecutive drive cycles. They vary between vehicles. You can try and research it for yours. An example is. drive the vehicle at 35mph for 5 consecutive miles, then 65mph for 3 miles, back to 45mph and slow brake.......
Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Way off topic but nice username hogan
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by CandyF1
Wyo11scab, I don't know if you even read the thread, or all you was throttle body spacer, but your input was better left out.
Most of the mods you made were to inhance performance at WOT and will actualy deminish performance at lower throttle openings Hypertech included. And the only performance gain you will see with a throttle body spacer can be the weight reduction due to less money in your wallet not sarcasem just a fact
Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Most of the mods you made were to inhance performance at WOT and will actualy deminish performance at lower throttle openings Hypertech included. And the only performance gain you will see with a throttle body spacer can be the weight reduction due to less money in your wallet not sarcasem just a fact

Good response Bubba. Like I said throttle body spacers are worthless.

Quick Reply: Can anyone diagnose this???