Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BDS 4'' Lift, Driveshaft Issues.. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy BDS 4'' Lift, Driveshaft Issues.. Help!

We have a 2016 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 with a 4'' BDS Suspension Lift installed by the dealer when we purchased. We are having issues with our front driveshaft. The first time the front driveshaft failed was about 1 year after purchasing the vehicle. After that it has been replaced every few months and we are currently on our 4th front driveshaft. (So far all covered under warranty) Last week we had the new driveshaft installed and the truck is still making a loud banging/clunking noise. Called the dealership right back and made another appointment. Their only answer after taking it back today is "the driveshaft is the issue and making the noise because of the lift" and the only way to correct this issue is to remove the lift. They are also saying that warranty will no longer cover the driveshaft.
Anyone else have a similar issue with the front driveshaft? Feeling very frustrated and unsure what to do next! Thanks in advance.

-Nicholle from Manitoba, Canada

Last edited by Nicholle Day; 04-18-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:40 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholle Day
We have a 2016 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 with a 4'' BDS Suspension Lift installed by the dealer when we purchased. We are having issues with our front driveshaft. The first time the front driveshaft failed (CV Axle blown out) was about 1 year after purchasing the vehicle. After that it has been replaced every few months and we are currently on our 4th front driveshaft. (So far all covered under warranty) Last week we had the new driveshaft installed and the truck is still making a loud banging/clunking noise. Called the dealership right back and made another appointment. Their only answer after taking it back today is "the driveshaft is the issue and making the noise because of the lift" and the only way to correct this issue is to remove the lift. They are also saying that warranty will no longer cover the driveshaft.
Anyone else have a similar issue with the front driveshaft? Feeling very frustrated and unsure what to do next! Thanks in advance.

-Nicholle from Manitoba, Canada
Is it the axle(s) or the driveshaft? Or both? You wrote that the driveshaft 'failed', and described it as the 'CV Axle' blowing out.
The driveshaft and axles are different parts. The CV's are attached to the axles
If it's the driveshaft, front or rear? Reason I ask, is if you have a two piece(rear) driveshaft and the installer didn't install the carrier bearing shim kit, it'll cause problems. Sounds like it's the front though
You notice any vibration either in 2 or 4wd?
Anyway, firstly, don't worry about the dealer being able to stop covering it. They installed it on the truck, the law(at least here in the states, and I'm willing to bet in the JV USA(Canada-joke..sorry) they have to as well.
Secondly, BDS makes one of the best lifts on the market, You can bet that it doesn't tear up parts on its own.
What you should do next, is CALL BDS. Not only will they want to hear about the problem(s) you're having, they will work to get 'em solved. I had their sister company's (Zone) on my Colorado, and I went through two CV boots. The dealer didn't want to cover it, so I contacted them. They provided all the documentation needed to prove it wasn't the lift's fault-and would've paid for it if need be-, forcing the dealer to shut the **** up, and cover it.
I guaranty the dealer screwed the pooch on the install(sounds like whatever they did caused a bad angle on the d-shaft and/or axles and that's tearing 'em up). BDS will work with them if need be to sort out what happened and get it solved

Last edited by yokev; 04-18-2019 at 02:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Hammer (12-21-2021)
Old 04-18-2019, 07:59 AM

Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it. It is the front drive shaft. The rubber boot on the front driveshaft would rip and all the grease would come out of it. That's what was explained to me. The driveshaft will make a loud snapping noise under load in 4WD and this was even immediately after they installed a new one. The noise never stopped. I will call BDS today and see what we can sort out. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:09 PM
Heat Miser

Originally Posted by Nicholle Day
Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it. It is the front drive shaft. The rubber boot on the front driveshaft would rip and all the grease would come out of it. That's what was explained to me. The driveshaft will make a loud snapping noise under load in 4WD and this was even immediately after they installed a new one. The noise never stopped. I will call BDS today and see what we can sort out. Thank you!
I think you might be confusing the driveshaft with the axles and CV boots
The driveshaft is the shaft that goes from the trans to the diff. The axles come out of the diff(on either side) and connect to the hubs to spin the wheels. They have 'Constant Velocity(CV) ' joints that are housed in boots(at both ends of the axles) that are filled with grease. If you cut a boot(that's what I did in the story I related in my original post), grease will spray out.
Modern IFS lifts drop everything down(diff, subframe etc) so that your axles and steering all stay within factory spec.
IF the lift was installed incorrectly, it's possible that they put your axles at too steep of an angle, which can cause the CV
joints to bind and the boots to tear.

Edit:
Here's photos of the parts in question:
This is an axle. You can see the boots at either end

Below is the front driveshaft

Would it be possible to take photos of your axles and throw 'em up on here?
I think BDS might ask to see 'em too

Last edited by yokev; 04-18-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by yokev
I think you might be confusing the driveshaft with the axles and CV boots
The driveshaft is the shaft that goes from the trans to the diff. The axles come out of the diff(on either side) and connect to the hubs to spin the wheels. They have 'Constant Velocity(CV) ' joints that are housed in boots(at both ends of the axles) that are filled with grease. If you cut a boot(that's what I did in the story I related in my original post), grease will spray out.
Modern IFS lifts drop everything down(diff, subframe etc) so that your axles and steering all stay within factory spec.
IF the lift was installed incorrectly, it's possible that they put your axles at too steep of an angle, which can cause the CV joints to bind and the boots to tear.
Would it be possible to take photos of your axles and throw 'em up on here?
I think BDS might ask to see 'em too
Sorry, I had written the wrong thing in my original post. It is not the CV Axle at all. It is the front driveshaft only. Here is a picture I was able to take of both ends of it last evening.

This was installed April 10, 2019

Installed April 10, 2019
Old 04-19-2019, 11:55 AM

I just wanted to show the reply I received from BDS. And thank you again for your input. The 2 boxes he is saying will upgrade our lift kit is front box 1 and 2 of the 2017 Ford F-150 kit.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

have the dealer install for you since they did the original lift..
Old 04-19-2019, 06:13 PM
Heat Miser

Originally Posted by techrep
have the dealer install for you since they did the original lift..
Yeah, absofreakinglutely!!
That dealer is responsible for this, so it's on them to FINISH the install
The following users liked this post:
techrep (04-20-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Default Updated Kits

I just wanted to update and also look for some more help.. The dealer did get the 2 new boxes we needed, and as of yesterday the "new" install is complete. Now we have a whole other issue of the front tires rubbing very badly on the front crash bars. We won't be able to meet with the dealer until this coming Wednesday but thought someone here may have some insight. Keep in mind we had the 2016 4'' BDS lift installed for 2-1/2 years with no tire rub whatsoever. Now that they have switched the 2 boxes of the kits to the 2017 4'' BDS lift , the rubbing is so bad the truck cannot be driven. The dealer says it is now our responsibility to "modify" the crash bars. I am just confused how the tires fit with the 2016 lift kit but not this one. I am also sending another email to BDS to see if they have input.

I have taken a few pictures, not sure if any of these would help. Thanks in advance for your input.

​​​​​​​
Old 05-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Quick Reply: BDS 4'' Lift, Driveshaft Issues.. Help!