Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back-up camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back-up camera

i am picking up my 05 lariat tomorrow and i am new to trucks so needless to say I am looking into rear view cameras.

in particular I am looking at ones that attach to the license plate bracket and have a yellow RCA cable that runs to the front.

I have a 7" Pioneer AVIC-03 headunit and I am wondering if when I put the car into reverse if the back up camera will appear on the unit. I have never seen this unit so I do not know how the cameras appear when you place it in reverse.

Let me know if you have one and what brand it is...ones I was looking at on ebay were 65-85$$.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Quiet_Dave

Default Nav R3 flush mounted backup camera

I recently added this Nav R3 backup camera to my '03 Lariat (it is the black spot, lower center of the tailgate) and had it wired into my Pioneer 3300BT multimedia center. I love it. In daylight it provides great imagery quite a ways back, and at night the IR lights provide clear imagery back about 12-15 feet and to a much lesser degree twice that distance. My only problem has been at twilight or in deep shadow, when it is too bright for the IRs and not light enough for the regular camera.

Last edited by Quiet_Dave; 11-16-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quiet_Dave

I recently added this Nav R3 backup camera to my '03 Lariat (it is the black spot, lower center of the tailgate) and had it wired into my Panasonic 3300BT multimedia center. I love it. In daylight it provides great imagery quite a ways back, and at night the IR lights provide clear imagery back about 12-15 feet and to a much lesser degree twice that distance. My only problem has been at twilight or in deep shadow, when it is too bright for the IRs and not light enough for the regular camera.

How much was it? And also, is that a Pioneer system you are talking about? How do you like that?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Quiet_Dave

It was a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT and a Navi R3 camera. The total package: multimedia ctr, camera, and all installation was a bit pricey because I had to pay for all that labor. It totaled about $900. I have misplaced my original invoice, but the ctr was about $370, the camera about $200 and adding in a quick release in the wiring harness at the tailgate and extra $54. I wish I could give you better details.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 AM

It was a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT and a Navi R3 camera. The total package: multimedia ctr, camera, and all installation was a bit pricey because I had to pay for all that labor. It totaled about $900. I have misplaced my original invoice, but the ctr was about $370, the camera about $200 and adding in a quick release in the wiring harness at the tailgate and extra $54. I wish I could give you better details.
No this info is great, thanks. What is a quick release? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm definitely a noob...
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Quiet_Dave

The "quick release" was just some water/weather resistant connections in the line that could be unplugged to remove the tailgate without breaking or cutting the lines from the camera and IR lights.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 PM

The "quick release" was just some water/weather resistant connections in the line that could be unplugged to remove the tailgate without breaking or cutting the lines from the camera and IR lights.
Ah ok cool

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Driving the wheels offer

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

I'd like to get a cam too for plowing this winter. Have you decided on what to get yet? I saw a cam and monitor for $90 at the local autoparts store. I was also thinking I could go cheap with stuff I already have, inverter, pc monitor, surveillance cam.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01-7700
I'd like to get a cam too for plowing this winter. Have you decided on what to get yet? I saw a cam and monitor for $90 at the local autoparts store. I was also thinking I could go cheap with stuff I already have, inverter, pc monitor, surveillance cam.
If your are talking about the Peak camera's that you see at Autozone and such, don't get it. I got it and returned it the same day after 3 hours of playing with it. Very choppy pic, very cheep. Deff. save your money and get a nice set up. That is what I am doing. JMO
Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Driving the wheels offer

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by wrench78
If your are talking about the Peak camera's that you see at Autozone and such, don't get it. I got it and returned it the same day after 3 hours of playing with it. Very choppy pic, very cheep. Deff. save your money and get a nice set up. That is what I am doing. JMO
what are you going to get - thanks for the info on the cheap cam

Quick Reply: back-up camera