Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Models with CAIs

Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2018 Models with CAIs

I've looked through the forums and found lots of post about CAIs but mostly for older models. Does anyone have experience with a CAI on a new model, maybe even as new as a 2018. I just picked up a limited and while I don't have plans to do a ton of mods a CAI is the obvious choice for some easy gains. I plan on talking with the dealer about mods that can warrantied before I do anything. I'd be interested specifically in what brand you choose and what gains you experienced.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Aahhh the CAI vs. Stock debate is coming again...

Youll find that many (if not most) people say that the stock intake is every bit as good if not better than an aftermarket CAI. My only thought is that it’s YOUR truck so go with whatever makes you smile.

If you plan to drive in dusty or dirty conditions you may also look into one with an enclosed air box. Or get a pre-filter.

A CAI with open box will usually give you increased turbo sound which to some is enough of a reason.

Many dealers will tell you they void your warranty but some tell you that they’d have to be able to prove without a doubt that your CAI caused the problem.

Oh, and I like the S&B intake as well as the aFe (limited edition blue/polished) versions.

Last edited by KineKilla; 11-07-2018 at 09:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mdomicolo (12-13-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For what you will spend for an enclosed CAI. Save another $100 and get yourself a tuner / custom tune. You will feel the most bang for your buck with a tuner on the EB platform.

Personally I’m only swapping my air filter and adding a tuner. The factory intake is not that bad for a tune and basic bolt ons.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:13 AM

Won't that tune though void the warranty?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I have a S&B CAI on my 18 3.5 Eco. Have always ran cold air intakes on all my vehicles. I really don't care if it's "worth the cost" or not as I am tuned and also running a MBRP exhaust so it all works together.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ajb1205
I have a S&B CAI on my 18 3.5 Eco. Have always ran cold air intakes on all my vehicles. I really don't care if it's "worth the cost" or not as I am tuned and also running a MBRP exhaust so it all works together.
So your experiencing better gains all around then. Have you noticed any increased fuel mileage or are the new additions just making your foot heavier?
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I am leveled with 34" toyo AT2 Xtremes and get 24 mpg (Canadian mpg) doing 120km/hr on the highway...so...YAH...very happy with that. I am running a 5Star 91 performance tune and it's night and day compared to stock.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

I went with a Roush intake on my 2018. I figured it would be warranty friendly since it is a ford authorized part.
When installing it, I did remove the silencer rings in the intake tube, which gives more of that whistle sound we are looking for. LOL
i also have a Borla exhaust,and will be doing a tuner before the end of the year so I figured it will all work together nicely.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by CrankCase
I went with a Roush intake on my 2018. I figured it would be warranty friendly since it is a ford authorized part.
When installing it, I did remove the silencer rings in the intake tube, which gives more of that whistle sound we are looking for. LOL
i also have a Borla exhaust,and will be doing a tuner before the end of the year so I figured it will all work together nicely.

sure is pretty. I wouldnt think enclosing the filter like that would be as beneficial. I see how that forces outside air in but all around isnt that prohibitive for intake? And where are these silencers you speak of. Did it make a big difference on the audible turbo whine

Last edited by baddceo; 11-08-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Text
The following users liked this post:
CrankCase (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by baddceo
sure is pretty. I wouldnt think enclosing the filter like that would be as beneficial. I see how that forces outside air in but all around isnt that prohibitive for intake? And where are these silencers you speak of. Did it make a big difference on the audible turbo whine
I’m not sure if the enclosure makes much difference, on most aftermarket intakes the box seals against the hood so it basically encloses it anyway.
The rings are inside the intake tubes, right at the connection past the air box. If you u do the clams and separate the hoses you’ll see them in there. It takes a bit of pulling, but they do come out.
I did notice a difference in sound, even passengers notice a difference as wel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Models with CAIs