Topic Sponsor

backfiring through the carburetor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backfiring through the carburetor?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum,

Been driving F150's from the start, seems I have never left 1979... I think I have a 83 now about as new as it gets for me I guess, it looks like a 79..

I just love to hear the thump of my foot hit the floor when I change gears or how you have to reach so far to shift, things I missed so much driving my husbands Jetta around, he is not a truck guy and just can't understand!

I paid $400 three years ago and it's ran great even tho I horriably abuse her...................... we haul all kinds of stuff, rocks wood,a chicken coup, I loaded up with my dad...

Sorry she is not a prissy truck and I am not a prissy gal even tho I abuse her she is loved! her name is ladybird...

So Ladybird started backfiring through the carburetor and sounding bad.. she still runs but the knocking is Scaring the crap out of me... I don't want her to catch fire or something......

My dad can work on anything and he said it's OK to drive but I don't like the noise and it has no power and it's getting worse even tho he can fix anything.. he will say things sound fine or are fine BC he don't enjoy working on trucks anymore...I don't blame him....

My husband says it's past his skill level and if you have not guessed I have no skills with trucks at all.

So is it OK to drive or am I harming Ladybird driving her like this? will I bust into flames?

Thanks...
Crystal
Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Soudns like a timing issue. It won't burst into flames, but it's not good for teh engine to keep driving it like that.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not normal and definately not good. Several things come to mind. 1. Could be as simple as plug wires cross fireing. Open hood and look for sparks jumping around, do this in the dark, at night. Check for spark tracks in the distributor cap.

2. Incorrect timing as stated above.

3. Do a compression check, possible intake valve burnt.

Have someone check these out and get back to us.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Ok I'll see if I can do that thanks...
Old 06-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Welcome to the forums....

backfiring thru the carb can be several different thing...

sometimes its just a bad tune up...where spark plugs and wires and cap and rotor are just worn beyond the point of working correctly...

I'd honestly start there...

next on the list is no fuel....a real Lean condition can cause backfires...check fuel filters and make sure the fuel pump is pushing a good volume of fuel....

3 complete cranks of the engine should almost fill a Quart size Mason Jar...

next on the list is the worst....broken or worn parts...

if it isnt too hard pull the valve cover and look for broken parts...

the most common on the inline sixes are busted pushrods from being revved into valve float...

with the valve cover off turn the engine over by hand...(socket on the balancer bolt) and watch all the rockers...they should ALL move the same amount...if you have any that move less or not at all thats where your problem is...

and issue on the exhaust side (valve not opening) will cause No power and backfire thru the carb as well...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 PM

She is back and purring like a kitten, it was a wore out lifter... which we had from a spare partted out ford, so it just took all day, and the cost gasket valve cover cost like $8.

We checked sparks, timing, compression, all came back good.. took off the gasket cover and one of the things ( rockers) was lose so took that a part and the lifter was rubbed and worn out... My dad says it's my lack of changing the oil most likely so I'm going to see if I can do that and change the oil filter, and air filter replace a few belts and drain the ratiator and replace the hose on the bottom..sense we did the sparks and distributor cap last week...

I may wait until the week end for hubby to help me.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 AM

Trinity,
If you had a lifter that bad what did the cam lobe look like? If you did not look down the lifter bore to view the lobe I suggest that you compare the travel of the other rocker arms/push rods to this one. If the travel is noticeably less then you may have a cam issue also.

Quick Reply: backfiring through the carburetor?