Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

4x4 lowering

Old 08-13-2017, 09:25 AM
n2o

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 4x4 lowering

I started with a 2wd lithium rcsb and I traded last week for the new race truck, lightning blue 4x4 rcsb to modify. It's getting a whipple I've had waiting and some other parts to compliment the added power. I want to lower the truck and avoid or resolve any driveline issues in the process. Any experienced input is appreciated.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

The 2 biggest issues I ran into were the front being lower than the rear and I had to get a shorter driveshaft (wasn't a big deal I was going to replace the driveshaft anyway).

This is my 4x4 with the Crown 5/3 (actually 6/3 because you have to remove the lift block) The front is about an inch higher than the rear, which some people couldn't tell, but I could and it drove me crazy...

After some research I found the Belltech adjustable front struts and ordered a pair. Going by the instructions it looked like all we needed to do was set it at 1" lower and it would have about a .25" rake. After re-assembly and lowering the lift it had lowered the truck about 3" in the front... We took everything apart and set it at the .5" lift setting and that is where it is now. It's now about 1.25" lower in the front vs. the rear and finally has a decent rake! It still needs an alignment, if they can't get it to align I'll probably end up going to the 1" lift setting on the front which would help that...

Here's how it's sitting now.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yonson
After some research I found the Belltech adjustable front struts and ordered a pair. Going by the instructions it looked like all we needed to do was set it at 1" lower and it would have about a .25" rake. After re-assembly and lowering the lift it had lowered the truck about 3" in the front... We took everything apart and set it at the .5" lift setting and that is where it is now. It's now about 1.25" lower in the front vs. the rear and finally has a decent rake! It still needs an alignment, if they can't get it to align I'll probably end up going to the 1" lift setting on the front which would help that...
So, what did you order? Belltech Adjustable struts for a 4x4? I have the back of my truck lifted with airbags to sit level. I'd rather drop the front a little lower like you did. It looks great!
Old 08-13-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by TI 3VOM
So, what did you order? Belltech Adjustable struts for a 4x4? I have the back of my truck lifted with airbags to sit level. I'd rather drop the front a little lower like you did. It looks great!
Thanks, they are Belltech 25007

http://www.belltech.com/products/bel...o-1-25007.html
Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yonson

So your saying the belltech 3inch drop, was lower then the crown 3inch drop in the front?
Or you used the crown 3inch drop spring on the belltech struts?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by StormUnite
So your saying the belltech 3inch drop, was lower then the crown 3inch drop in the front?
Or you used the crown 3inch drop spring on the belltech struts?
Correct, I used the Crown drop springs with the Belltech struts, however on the Belltech struts we had to use the .5" lift configuration to lower it ~1.5"...
Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think that setup would be the way to got on a crew 4x4...

I was just going to run the crown 3/4 since I have the block in the rear so it would be a 3/5 and was going to do a custom mounted 5k bag setup in the rear so I could still tow....Opinion?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 AM

I wouldn't know on a Crew, UNBROKEN on here would be the one to ask about that...
Old 08-14-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 4/6ish drop on my 4x4 no problems with drivetrain binding so far. I am using djm arms and 2wd struts, the belltech struts didn't work for some reason. The lowest you can go up front would be 4-5" with djm arms due to cv axle clearence with the strut I barely clear them with my drop.

Here is a look at how the front cv axle angle looks

The following users liked this post:
n2o (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Phase I- I installed a 2/4 Crown, ended up sitting .5" lower in the rear. Truck won't align, rides like crap in front, tags bump stops that instructions didn't say to remove. Rear end is soft, rear fender flares touch 305 tires on hard bumps.

Phase II- I installed a Crown 1" lift shackle, fixed the squat, but the shackle was already assembled without lube, and now truck sounds like a old trailer driving over a small crack in the ground. Rear end is firm, no longer tags tires.

Phase III- Installed Belltech strut on factory springs, set at 2". Truck sits 1/2" lower than Crown drop springs at this setting. Now I no longer need the squeeky lift shackles. Truck rides great up front now, like factory, still won't align, have to slot frame.

Phase IV- Next weekend, slot frame slots in front, remove lift shackles, install 09-14 slam air kit, and hopefully all is right after alignment.

I've had no drive line issues.

Front fender lip is 34", rear is at 35.5 after phase III, wheel and tire size in signature.
Phase I

Phase II

Last edited by #Budro; 08-14-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Search this Thread