Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

wiring lights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring lights...

This is my first post but I've been reading along here for awhile....this forum is awesome! I've got an 02 screw 4x4 with the 5.4 and have recently built a bedcage/rollbar and installed some off road lights up top for that extra edge during night time excursions....I'm having trouble finding a spot to run the wires in to my switches though and can't find any info on wiring for my year/model. Any help? I've got to get my power wires in from the battery as well as the wires from all four lights. I've already mounted my switches on the interior fusebox cover so coming in through the driver's side is preferred. Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I even checked the how-to section, but couldn't find anything for our body style...
Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

follow the hood release cable from the lever, there is a grommet on the left side behind the brake pedal. pull or cut out some of the foam covering it up and pop a hole in the grommet to run the wires through.

youll have to run the wires in with a straightened coat hanger from the inside, cause you cannot see the grommet from outside in the engine bay - its under a bunch of wiring.

if you need a picture i can go take one for you, just let me know
Old 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran my coax and speaker wire through a grommet in the floor and just ran everything under the trim.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

You can run the wire from the lights between ur box and cab and bring them along the frame up through the firewall. There is a hole near the bottom to run them through. Then for your power for the switch run it from the battery to the hole right above the engine in the firewall to ur switch.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Rammer Jammer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000MTZ
follow the hood release cable from the lever, there is a grommet on the left side behind the brake pedal. pull or cut out some of the foam covering it up and pop a hole in the grommet to run the wires through.

youll have to run the wires in with a straightened coat hanger from the inside, cause you cannot see the grommet from outside in the engine bay - its under a bunch of wiring.

if you need a picture i can go take one for you, just let me know
This is what I did

be sure to post pictures!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 PM
zap

Second picture is how I ran mine. That is the last cross member on the cab before the gap between the bed and cab, the grommet is in the back corner of the cab under the flooring. First pic is what 01BlueCrew is speaking of, it is right behind the brake pedal and is used for true power for the CB, and all of the light controls on my truck. I'm not sure what 2000MTZ is talking about but if I have the time I will certainly look.
Attached Thumbnails wiring lights...-100_0939.jpg   wiring lights...-100_0940.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

me and 01bluecrew are basically talking about the same thing, ill try to take some pics tomorrow before i have to leave home
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM

I sent my wires through the firewall grommet like that as well.

Just curious, has anyone had issues with heat from the engine melting wires? On my first attempt I had one wire's insulation melt, presumably because it came too close to the engine. So I took all the wires out and redid it all with conduit and a crap ton of zip ties.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy mate
I sent my wires through the firewall grommet like that as well.

Just curious, has anyone had issues with heat from the engine melting wires? On my first attempt I had one wire's insulation melt, presumably because it came too close to the engine. So I took all the wires out and redid it all with conduit and a crap ton of zip ties.
Using wiring loom to protect the wires will prevent this. Also a good idea to use loom or even some shrink tubing where wires touch edges of metal-to prevent chafing.

Quick Reply: wiring lights...