Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Window Regulator Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window Regulator Problems

Hi all,

I have a 2002 F-150 (extended cab) and my power window motor on the driver's side went out. It would go down but not up. I was getting power all the way to the motor, so I replaced the entire motor/regulator assembly. It started working again, but now with an issue it didn't have before. When you hold the switch in the first down position (the manual down position), it works just fine. When you try to use the auto function it goes down about an inch or two and stops. You press the button again and it does the same thing. This continues until you "inch" the window down a little at a time. Switch appears to be ok. My thought was that something might be in a bind, but it moves with ease and without making a racket. I kept playing with it (checking all the bolts, making sure everything was lined up, ran the "window reset" procedure, etc) until I noticed that when maintaining a moderate amount of pressure on the window inwards (towards the inside of the cab), it functions normally. I've tried adding washers between the regulator and the studs on the window, but that didn't help. I also notice that the window has a bit more play in it than the passenger side. At this point, I'm wondering if I've gotten a bad regulator from the parts store. I still have the old assembly, and I'm wondering if I should try the new motor on the old regulator, since the regulator seemed fine but the motor was shot. But before I go to the hassle of pulling the new one out to try this or go exchange it, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Zach T
Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 PM
mbb

Received 900 Likes on 741 Posts

I had one i installed on a vehicle once that didnt work. It was binding. I repositioned it....worked fine.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb
I had one i installed on a vehicle once that didnt work. It was binding. I repositioned it....worked fine.
Thanks. How did you reposition it? It seems to bolt in to all the right spots. Doesn't seem like there is much flexibility there.

Quick Reply: Window Regulator Problems