Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Passenger Side Mirror Glass Replacement - Heated?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger Side Mirror Glass Replacement - Heated?

Just bought my first truck the other day. It's a 1999 Lariat. The passenger mirror was a little weird looking when I bought it. Kind of goldish but I thought it was just dirty. Washed it off and I noticed the backing on it looks to be peeling off. It looks like a black film.
I'm looking to replace it. The mirror is a power mirror with the signal in it. I'm looking into replacements and keep seeing a heated mirror option on some. How do I tell if mine are heated. Our Jeep has a little heat symbol on it. I don't see anything like that but the
previous owners stuck some huge dome mirrors on them so I can really only see about 1/2 of the mirror and maybe the symbol is behind that?
I'll try and take some pictures if you think it would help. Not sure what other info you may need. Not too familiar with the truck yet.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:28 PM

Received 6,477 Likes on 4,613 Posts

If it is heated, it will have a symbol, similar to the "defrost" symbol. I suspect that it has a signal light in it though. Sounds like my Expedition mirror.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:31 PM

Yeah, I was wondering if it might be under the dome mirrors stuck on it. Do you know where the symbol is on the mirror? Yes, it has the signal. Here are a few pics.The mirror is actually clean. All the markings are due to the back peeling off.

Tried to get a pic of the back peeling off
Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 PM

Yeah... it's not heated. But that "Signal" means it has/had a turn signal in it.

My Expedition is doing the exact same thing. I'm selling it though, so I'm not going to fix it, LOL.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 PM

Thanks. I just didn't want to break it taking the glass off and find out I had the wrong glass and then have to wait for other glass. Is there any possibility of getting the old glass off without breaking it? I was thinking of heating it up a little
with a heat gun to see if I couldn't soften any adhesive and try to just pull it out but I don't want to melt anything either.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:17 PM

Not that I am aware of. Honestly, I was just going to clean the mirror really well with alcohol and stick a new one on top of it with silicone. I didn't want to damage the power mirror gears. Rock Auto sells just the mirror for cheap...

Old 04-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

here is the signal glass for the right

http://mirrorglassplus.com/1998-ford...-mirror-5391s/
Old 04-10-2019, 06:35 AM

I assumed his LED's are no longer working either. That glass doesn't include the LED's for the signal light, BTW.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by white89gt
I assumed his LED's are no longer working either. That glass doesn't include the LED's for the signal light, BTW.
Red came with the signal mirrors, but the left glass flaked off, so I replaced it with a new glass from here. My LEDs worked, but with the flaking, you could hardly see it. The new glass cured that, but then I went to the tow mirrors. I was going to put them on Blue, but he's only 3 wired, not 5, so the wouldn't work.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM

Just a little update:
My LED's were working fine and they are separate from the glass. They sit behind it in a little pocket with a plastic retainer that snaps into the back plate of the mirror.
I went out and measured the glass and measured 8 7/16 and proceeded to look for the glass. Found a few complaints on some that they didn't "auto" tint or have tinting so the headlights behind them were blinding so I avoided them.
I ended up going with this: https://www.glassrack.net/fof19sidrsid.html
It said it has anti-glare and a exact fit guaranteed. It even said the same measurement I came up with.
Got the glass. It's kind of small. The original glass snapped into a groove around the edge. This one doesn't at all. There is a small gap around the whole mirror. The LED holes aren't lined up right on the glass either. In order for me to line up the holes with the LEDs I had to install
the mirror towards the top more and at a slight angle so there is a larger gap at the bottom and wording at the bottom of the mirror is at a slight angle which is triggering my OCD every time I look at the mirror.
Contacted them about it and never heard from them. So much for the guarantee. I just used it anyway since I had to break my old mirror to get it out. I'll probably end up taking this one out and trying another one sometime this summer if it doesn't fall off before then.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Mirror Glass Replacement - Heated?