Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

why doesn't it work ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why doesn't it work ???

1997 f 150 Has original tow hitch and tried to tow a trailer and the lights wont work . I know the trailer lights work. I checked the fuse and relay those are fine . Can anyone suggest what else I might try ?? I also found a wire harness leading to the tow hitch underneath the stearing wheel but those are not conneted to anything ???? it is factory equipt nothing has been tampered with all original ford . HELP!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The wires under the steering wheel are most likely for an electronic trailer brake control. If your trailer has brakes you would have to get a controller and hook it up for them to work. As far as the lights, follow the plug from your bumper up to the wiring harness. If the trailer brake controller was removed then the trailer wiring may have been unplugged also. If it is, you can plug it in even without the trailer brake controller hooked up, it won't fry anything.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The tow-package included the pre-wired brake controller hook-up. Not having a brake controller would not affect your trailer lights. I have the same set-up in my 96 F150. The brake controller controls the electronic/magnetic brakes on trailers that are so equiped. You may find that there is a wiring problem with the jack that you plug your trailer lights into. Check to make sure the ground wire has good contact with a clean metal surface.

Quick Reply: why doesn't it work ???