Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Where is all this coolant coming from!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is all this coolant coming from!?

I have a 1999 F150 4.2L V6 that I just replaced the Water Pump and Thermostat and their respective Gaskets. I used Ultra Black RTV with the gasket on the W/P but just the gasket on the thermostat. We got everything back in and torque to specs. Let it sit for 24 hours. I then poured 1 jug of coolant in and everything was fine. I thought I had a second jug and I didn't so I drove to the local oreilys and grabbed one and came back. Still no leaks. Awesome! Right? Well I then start to pour the second jug in and about half way through that jug its like someone opened a faucet and coolant was just pouring out onto the ground. Sweet!
I looked everywhere to see it and the leak is hidden just out of site. However, I do see it pooling below the thermostat just above the w/p behind slightly farther back towards the engine itself.
Because of the amount of flow I had with no "seeping" Im guessing there might be a tare in a hose or I just barely missed fitting a hose just right? The fact that is was fine until I put about 1.5 gallons of coolant in but it was ok with 1 gallon mean I have something not fit on there correctly at the upper end of the coolant system. Right? Or am I crazy? I will be double checking my hoses this afternoon but I thought I would reach out here and see if anyone else might have seen a similar issue.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 6,480 Likes on 4,616 Posts

I suspect you may be leaking on your crossover piece. There are gaskets on them that can go bad on you. Sniff around in that area and see if you can see anything.

It is the metal piece in this picture below

Old 12-22-2016, 02:48 PM

That appears to maybe be a component on a newer model truck or larger engine. I have a 1999 Ford F-150 with the 4.2L V6 motor
Old 12-22-2016, 08:20 PM

Mine did that because I didn't change the o-ring on that metal peice that comes out the top of the water pump.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Southernhunter9
Mine did that because I didn't change the o-ring on that metal peice that comes out the top of the water pump.
x2 I always put a touch of sealant on the pipe before squashing it in the hole. Otherwise they leak on me.