Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Default What would you do?

I'm looking at how much money I have into my truck (14k total, 9k besides the purchase price), and what work still needs to be done. I am looking at this list of crap that needs to be done and I am left wandering if I should sell the truck.

The torque converter is going out (had been since I bought it, though I didn't know it at the time), my leaf springs need to be replaced, my transmission keeps leaking fluid from where the drive shaft goes into it (we replaced the seal and the problem is still there), and lastly I don't fully know what this problem is. Every once in a while I will light put on the gas (at a stop) and the truck will spin the tires like I just floored it. The other un-known issue is that intermittently when stopping (not slamming on the brakes, and this problem occurs in all weather, dry pavement, wet pavement, etc.) sometimes I will get a sound like the tires lock up and I can feel the truck sliding. This problem has never occurred when I apply the brakes to slow my speed say when I am getting too close to a car on the road, it happens when I am slowing down for a stop sign / light or something like that (again, not slamming on the brakes, just applying like you normally would). And the breaking point for most people, it a 1997 F-150 XLT on a rebuilt title, it has 172k miles on a 4.6L. Auto trans, 4x4 extended cab short bed, 5" lift 5" tires. What it comes down to is if this was your truck, would you be keeping it, dealing with the problems as they come? Or getting the hell away from it?

Expenses layout:
Initial purchase - 5k
Repairs - around 5k
After market - around 4k

How much would you be trying to sell the truck for / how much do you think it is worth? I am thinking if I sell it to someone like me, I could get around 6-7k for it. The truck does not drive like it has a bad torque converter, it just has the shutter sometimes. Other than that it drives what I know to be as normal.

Last edited by Red-Ford; 01-05-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

With the transmission going out, 2-3k if you're lucky enough to find someone willing to deal with it.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep it if possible fix what you can ur never going to get ur money back out of it
Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

3-4k tops. The truck has a good bit of issues, and 170k.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

If you have the OEM stuff to get it back to close to stock then I'd pull all the nice stuff off then sell it, then you can sell your aftermarket stuff and go buy a new truck. That or suck it up and prepare to take a huge loss or just fix it and drive for a few more years......
Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

No way will you get $6-7000 for it. Mods do not really add any value to a vehicles resale price (in many cases it decreases it).
$5000 is a possibility, but only if you lie and tell the seller no problems.
$3000 if your honest and take off the extras you can to sell separately.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd personally pull off all the aftermarket stuff, throw the oem stuff back on if possible and sell it as is. You could always try and find another 10th gen truck with less issues and throw the aftermarket stuff on it instead, could possibly even find a truck with some aftermarket stuff as well or a colour you like better
Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea youll never get your money back out of mods unless your a dealership selling them on a new vehicle. Many people dont want to take chances on inproperly installed accessories. Plus chances are if the truck was not properly cared for and kept up with the buyer will seriously doubt the integrity and workmanship of the installed upgrades. I wouldnt pay more than 2k for it just for a parts truck to be honest. Best thing would be just to fix the tranny and other issues or pull all upgrades and sell the truck oem
Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Tackle
With the transmission going out, 2-3k if you're lucky enough to find someone willing to deal with it.
If it where another person like me, they wouldn't know it was going out unless I told them.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
If it where another person like me, they wouldn't know it was going out unless I told them.
I mean youd just have to hope you could find a buyer that is clueless but then it may come back on you and your reputation if your ok with that? Lol, depends on how bad the tranny actually is. Torque converters shuttering are pretty noticaeble that something major is wrong