Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

weird traction feeling.. hard to describe

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird traction feeling.. hard to describe

let me see if i can try and describe this and see if anyone can understand me
ive only had the truck a couple weeks now, ive put about 1k miles on it though, today while loaded up with about 3k pound trailer and 5-600 pounds in the bed of the truck, i cut the wheel sharp leaving the parking lot of the pizza place, when i gave it gas to leave my parking spot with the wheel cut hard, it felt like the rear dif was locked, although i know its not a locking dif, its a 3.55 with limited slip, but it kind of felt/sounded like the same thing when u leave the 4wd on and turn sharp on pavement with the front wheels, like both rear wheels were locked and turning together, but it will go away real quick.. i tried to make it happen again with my friend checkin to see if the new tires were rubbing or anything, and no rubbing, but managed to get it to happen a couple more times.. it honestly feels like the rear is locked, but its only done it a couple times and ive first noticed it today with a nice heavy load behind it, when the truck it empty i have never noticed it.. any clues!?!? and i thought the limited slip only engages when 4wd is on!!? this truck only has 43,000 miles on it....and i didnt even start making payments yet!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your concern is coming from the rear end to be exact the limited slip clutch packs sre causing your noise and shudder the fix is to replace the clutch pack and reshim them also add friction modifier to the new diff oil..
i would imagine u can get this to happen with no load turn the wheel and accel slowly on the turn it will probalby shutter..

pretty easy fix if your at all mechanically enclined... couple of hours..
Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorFORDtech
your concern is coming from the rear end to be exact the limited slip clutch packs sre causing your noise and shudder the fix is to replace the clutch pack and reshim them also add friction modifier to the new diff oil..
i would imagine u can get this to happen with no load turn the wheel and accel slowly on the turn it will probalby shutter..

pretty easy fix if your at all mechanically enclined... couple of hours..

so there are actual clutch plates in the limited slip, like any wet type clutch?? is the limited slip engaged electronically ? does it engage only in 4wd or in 2wd too?
i just got home from workin all day , havnt showered yet, but really wana take it to an empty parking lot and try it out like you said, ill go both ways and see if i can get it to shutter, but what you are saying makes alot of sense , thanks alot for the response, if this is the fix, i really cant do it myself, ill have to take it down to my dads buddy at STS, hes a big ford guy, about how much money are we talkin here (without labor of course) ? and what would cause the clutches to go bad at 40k miles? i bought it used from a new car dealership, big time money company that own a bunch of them, i wonder if they will do anything under their 3000mile warranty they gave me, i guess ill have to check into that
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear end shudder.

What I would do first is have the dealer, or yourself drain the rear end and refill WITH a known amount of the friction modifier.....Whatever is required now.

The amount required may be discovered by searching posts here.

It will take a few days of driving to fully tell if the modifier worked for you.

The Friction Modifier may be all it needs..Perhaps it had never been added at all.

The limited slip is a mechanical device. No electronics.

If the problem persists, THEN I would look into a possible rear end problem.

Quick Reply: weird traction feeling.. hard to describe